Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
[Ezra] . . . from early morning until noon read aloud to everyone who could understand. All the people listened closely to the Book of the Law (Nehemiah 8:3).
I must admit I was having a hard time staying awake. The guest speaker had been monotonously droning on for 45 minutes. According to the outline provided, he wasn’t even halfway through the sermon! “It isn’t my fault if I fall asleep,” I whispered to my wife. “Don’t be a Eutychus!” she replied, even as she poked me with her pen to keep me awake.
Let’s take a look at that famous sleeper’s story: The church in Troas had gathered for worship one Sunday. It was jam-packed. And since Paul “was leaving the next day, he kept talking until midnight” (Acts 20:7).
With heavy theological teaching flowing from Paul, a crowded house “with many flickering lamps” (v.8), and fresh air in short supply, drowsiness soon overcame one young man. Poor Eutychus fell sound asleep while the apostle Paul taught (v.9). This was clearly a no-no. And Luke was there to record his misdeed. How embarrassing! But even though Eutychus was the first person to be recorded dozing off during a sermon, you and I can be numbered among his successors today.
Personally, I think Eutychus has been misrepresented. He obviously wanted to hear more about God. That’s why he was still in the house listening to Paul at midnight. Even though the house was overcrowded, Eutychus found a place to sit—on the third-story windowsill. Not exactly the safest place to perch. But that shows how much he wanted to take in Paul’s words. So this story shouldn’t be entirely bad press for Eutychus.
We can learn from this young man. We need to be a Eutychus. No, not falling asleep during a sermon, but having an eager desire and undeterred resolve to hear God’s Word—even if it means having to sit uncomfortably on a third-story windowsill for hours!
Pray for your pastor as he prepares and preaches God’s Word each week. Pray that you will listen attentively to the sermon. How else can you prepare yourself to listen to God’s Word?
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more