Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
[Ezra] . . . from early morning until noon read aloud to everyone who could understand. All the people listened closely to the Book of the Law (Nehemiah 8:3).
I must admit I was having a hard time staying awake. The guest speaker had been monotonously droning on for 45 minutes. According to the outline provided, he wasn’t even halfway through the sermon! “It isn’t my fault if I fall asleep,” I whispered to my wife. “Don’t be a Eutychus!” she replied, even as she poked me with her pen to keep me awake.
Let’s take a look at that famous sleeper’s story: The church in Troas had gathered for worship one Sunday. It was jam-packed. And since Paul “was leaving the next day, he kept talking until midnight” (Acts 20:7).
With heavy theological teaching flowing from Paul, a crowded house “with many flickering lamps” (v.8), and fresh air in short supply, drowsiness soon overcame one young man. Poor Eutychus fell sound asleep while the apostle Paul taught (v.9). This was clearly a no-no. And Luke was there to record his misdeed. How embarrassing! But even though Eutychus was the first person to be recorded dozing off during a sermon, you and I can be numbered among his successors today.
Personally, I think Eutychus has been misrepresented. He obviously wanted to hear more about God. That’s why he was still in the house listening to Paul at midnight. Even though the house was overcrowded, Eutychus found a place to sit—on the third-story windowsill. Not exactly the safest place to perch. But that shows how much he wanted to take in Paul’s words. So this story shouldn’t be entirely bad press for Eutychus.
We can learn from this young man. We need to be a Eutychus. No, not falling asleep during a sermon, but having an eager desire and undeterred resolve to hear God’s Word—even if it means having to sit uncomfortably on a third-story windowsill for hours!
Pray for your pastor as he prepares and preaches God’s Word each week. Pray that you will listen attentively to the sermon. How else can you prepare yourself to listen to God’s Word?
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more