Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
Life . . . With God
The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life (v.10).
Every month, more than 500,000 people Google “meaning of life.” Why am I here? They find answers ranging from “Life has no meaning” to “The meaning of life is whatever you make it.” Let’s consider the meanings of two of the Greek words for “life” found in the New Testament: psuché, means natural, created life; and zoé, meaning God’s eternal, supernatural life. It’s possible to have psuché but not zoé . . . or to be biologically alive but spiritually dead.
God is an abundant source of spiritual life (Genesis 2:7). We were created to have this life inhabiting us just as water fills a well or as God indwelt the temple (see 1 Corinthians 1:19). But with humankind’s rebellion (Genesis 3:1), we severed this source of life. A vacant space marked our hearts—the well had lost its spring, the temple had lost its God.
But a Man came forth from Galilee full of zoé (John 1:3). “My purpose is to give them . . . zoé,” He said of His mission (10:10). To those who believed in Him He promised that “rivers of living water will flow from his heart” (7:38) and that He would bring the Father to dwell within them (14:23). Jesus came to unleash the water in the well and bring the indwelling God back into the temple of our hearts. And with God’s supernatural life now within us, God starts working in us, “giving [us] the desire and the power to do what pleases Him” (Philippians 2:13). He doesn’t just give us energy but a mission.
So, what is the meaning of life? From the Christian perspective it is to live with God—to have His life living within us and to have Him live His life through us.
In John 10:1, Jesus is the Shepherd who gives His life so that we can have zoé. Reflect on this life-for-life sacrifice.
How have you struggled with the meaning of life? What does this say about the significance of our time spent with God?
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more