Awaken Your Hope Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples.
Top Christian Music Videos
Life . . . With God
The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life (v.10).
Every month, more than 500,000 people Google “meaning of life.” Why am I here? They find answers ranging from “Life has no meaning” to “The meaning of life is whatever you make it.” Let’s consider the meanings of two of the Greek words for “life” found in the New Testament: psuché, means natural, created life; and zoé, meaning God’s eternal, supernatural life. It’s possible to have psuché but not zoé . . . or to be biologically alive but spiritually dead.
God is an abundant source of spiritual life (Genesis 2:7). We were created to have this life inhabiting us just as water fills a well or as God indwelt the temple (see 1 Corinthians 1:19). But with humankind’s rebellion (Genesis 3:1), we severed this source of life. A vacant space marked our hearts—the well had lost its spring, the temple had lost its God.
But a Man came forth from Galilee full of zoé (John 1:3). “My purpose is to give them . . . zoé,” He said of His mission (10:10). To those who believed in Him He promised that “rivers of living water will flow from his heart” (7:38) and that He would bring the Father to dwell within them (14:23). Jesus came to unleash the water in the well and bring the indwelling God back into the temple of our hearts. And with God’s supernatural life now within us, God starts working in us, “giving [us] the desire and the power to do what pleases Him” (Philippians 2:13). He doesn’t just give us energy but a mission.
So, what is the meaning of life? From the Christian perspective it is to live with God—to have His life living within us and to have Him live His life through us.
In John 10:1, Jesus is the Shepherd who gives His life so that we can have zoé. Reflect on this life-for-life sacrifice.
How have you struggled with the meaning of life? What does this say about the significance of our time spent with God?
- Awaken Your Hope - Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples....read more
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more