Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
Life . . . With God
The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life (v.10).
Every month, more than 500,000 people Google “meaning of life.” Why am I here? They find answers ranging from “Life has no meaning” to “The meaning of life is whatever you make it.” Let’s consider the meanings of two of the Greek words for “life” found in the New Testament: psuché, means natural, created life; and zoé, meaning God’s eternal, supernatural life. It’s possible to have psuché but not zoé . . . or to be biologically alive but spiritually dead.
God is an abundant source of spiritual life (Genesis 2:7). We were created to have this life inhabiting us just as water fills a well or as God indwelt the temple (see 1 Corinthians 1:19). But with humankind’s rebellion (Genesis 3:1), we severed this source of life. A vacant space marked our hearts—the well had lost its spring, the temple had lost its God.
But a Man came forth from Galilee full of zoé (John 1:3). “My purpose is to give them . . . zoé,” He said of His mission (10:10). To those who believed in Him He promised that “rivers of living water will flow from his heart” (7:38) and that He would bring the Father to dwell within them (14:23). Jesus came to unleash the water in the well and bring the indwelling God back into the temple of our hearts. And with God’s supernatural life now within us, God starts working in us, “giving [us] the desire and the power to do what pleases Him” (Philippians 2:13). He doesn’t just give us energy but a mission.
So, what is the meaning of life? From the Christian perspective it is to live with God—to have His life living within us and to have Him live His life through us.
In John 10:1, Jesus is the Shepherd who gives His life so that we can have zoé. Reflect on this life-for-life sacrifice.
How have you struggled with the meaning of life? What does this say about the significance of our time spent with God?
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more