VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
Life . . . With God
The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life (v.10).
Every month, more than 500,000 people Google “meaning of life.” Why am I here? They find answers ranging from “Life has no meaning” to “The meaning of life is whatever you make it.” Let’s consider the meanings of two of the Greek words for “life” found in the New Testament: psuché, means natural, created life; and zoé, meaning God’s eternal, supernatural life. It’s possible to have psuché but not zoé . . . or to be biologically alive but spiritually dead.
God is an abundant source of spiritual life (Genesis 2:7). We were created to have this life inhabiting us just as water fills a well or as God indwelt the temple (see 1 Corinthians 1:19). But with humankind’s rebellion (Genesis 3:1), we severed this source of life. A vacant space marked our hearts—the well had lost its spring, the temple had lost its God.
But a Man came forth from Galilee full of zoé (John 1:3). “My purpose is to give them . . . zoé,” He said of His mission (10:10). To those who believed in Him He promised that “rivers of living water will flow from his heart” (7:38) and that He would bring the Father to dwell within them (14:23). Jesus came to unleash the water in the well and bring the indwelling God back into the temple of our hearts. And with God’s supernatural life now within us, God starts working in us, “giving [us] the desire and the power to do what pleases Him” (Philippians 2:13). He doesn’t just give us energy but a mission.
So, what is the meaning of life? From the Christian perspective it is to live with God—to have His life living within us and to have Him live His life through us.
In John 10:1, Jesus is the Shepherd who gives His life so that we can have zoé. Reflect on this life-for-life sacrifice.
How have you struggled with the meaning of life? What does this say about the significance of our time spent with God?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more