"Brutiful"How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?
Top Music Videos
Life . . . With God
The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life (v.10).
Every month, more than 500,000 people Google “meaning of life.” Why am I here? They find answers ranging from “Life has no meaning” to “The meaning of life is whatever you make it.” Let’s consider the meanings of two of the Greek words for “life” found in the New Testament: psuché, means natural, created life; and zoé, meaning God’s eternal, supernatural life. It’s possible to have psuché but not zoé . . . or to be biologically alive but spiritually dead.
God is an abundant source of spiritual life (Genesis 2:7). We were created to have this life inhabiting us just as water fills a well or as God indwelt the temple (see 1 Corinthians 1:19). But with humankind’s rebellion (Genesis 3:1), we severed this source of life. A vacant space marked our hearts—the well had lost its spring, the temple had lost its God.
But a Man came forth from Galilee full of zoé (John 1:3). “My purpose is to give them . . . zoé,” He said of His mission (10:10). To those who believed in Him He promised that “rivers of living water will flow from his heart” (7:38) and that He would bring the Father to dwell within them (14:23). Jesus came to unleash the water in the well and bring the indwelling God back into the temple of our hearts. And with God’s supernatural life now within us, God starts working in us, “giving [us] the desire and the power to do what pleases Him” (Philippians 2:13). He doesn’t just give us energy but a mission.
So, what is the meaning of life? From the Christian perspective it is to live with God—to have His life living within us and to have Him live His life through us.
In John 10:1, Jesus is the Shepherd who gives His life so that we can have zoé. Reflect on this life-for-life sacrifice.
How have you struggled with the meaning of life? What does this say about the significance of our time spent with God?
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more