Sacrificial LoveWhat does it mean for you to carry your cross?
Top Christian Music Videos
But people who aren’t spiritual can’t receive these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them . . . for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means. (v.14).
Dante Autullo had no idea that a 3.5-inch nail was embedded in his brain. He was totally oblivious. Having accidentally shot himself in the head with a nail gun in January 2012, Autullo thought he had only suffered a small cut . . . so he went back to work! Later, he started to feel nauseous and doctors subsequently found the nail lodged in the center of his brain. Amazingly, Dante came through surgery with no side effects, but with a new titanium plate in his skull.
It can be frustrating when unbelievers can’t seem to understand their need for salvation. They’re oblivious. The apostle Paul explained that a person who doesn’t have the Holy Spirit will consider God’s plan of salvation “foolish” (1 Corinthians 1:14). Later, in the same letter to the church at Corinth, he wrote, “No one can say, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ except by the Holy Spirit” (12:3).
Does this mean we shouldn’t present reasons for our beliefs to others? No. But it does mean that faith “trusts not in human wisdom, but in the power of God” (2:5). We’re “Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making His appeal through us” (2 Corinthians 2:20). And what we speak are not “words that come from human wisdom. Instead, we speak words given to us by the Spirit” (1 Corinthians 1:13). We can’t convince unbelievers of their need for salvation. Only the power of God through the work of His Holy Spirit can accomplish it (v.10;Romans 1:16).
We can’t force people to turn from the wisdom of this world. But we also know that “the foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans” (1 Corinthians 1:25).
Let’s keep sharing the good news, recognizing that only God can turn people from being oblivious into true believers.
In 2 Corinthians 2:4, check out who has blinded unbelievers to their need for Jesus.
How does it encourage you in your witness for Jesus to know that only the Holy Spirit can open unbelievers’ eyes? What will you do to share God’s “foolishness” with others today?
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more