Generous HeartsHave you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?
Top Christian Music Videos
But people who aren’t spiritual can’t receive these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them . . . for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means. (v.14).
Dante Autullo had no idea that a 3.5-inch nail was embedded in his brain. He was totally oblivious. Having accidentally shot himself in the head with a nail gun in January 2012, Autullo thought he had only suffered a small cut . . . so he went back to work! Later, he started to feel nauseous and doctors subsequently found the nail lodged in the center of his brain. Amazingly, Dante came through surgery with no side effects, but with a new titanium plate in his skull.
It can be frustrating when unbelievers can’t seem to understand their need for salvation. They’re oblivious. The apostle Paul explained that a person who doesn’t have the Holy Spirit will consider God’s plan of salvation “foolish” (1 Corinthians 1:14). Later, in the same letter to the church at Corinth, he wrote, “No one can say, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ except by the Holy Spirit” (12:3).
Does this mean we shouldn’t present reasons for our beliefs to others? No. But it does mean that faith “trusts not in human wisdom, but in the power of God” (2:5). We’re “Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making His appeal through us” (2 Corinthians 2:20). And what we speak are not “words that come from human wisdom. Instead, we speak words given to us by the Spirit” (1 Corinthians 1:13). We can’t convince unbelievers of their need for salvation. Only the power of God through the work of His Holy Spirit can accomplish it (v.10;Romans 1:16).
We can’t force people to turn from the wisdom of this world. But we also know that “the foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans” (1 Corinthians 1:25).
Let’s keep sharing the good news, recognizing that only God can turn people from being oblivious into true believers.
In 2 Corinthians 2:4, check out who has blinded unbelievers to their need for Jesus.
How does it encourage you in your witness for Jesus to know that only the Holy Spirit can open unbelievers’ eyes? What will you do to share God’s “foolishness” with others today?
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more