View from a DistanceWhy is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?
Top Christian Music Videos
But people who aren’t spiritual can’t receive these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them . . . for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means. (v.14).
Dante Autullo had no idea that a 3.5-inch nail was embedded in his brain. He was totally oblivious. Having accidentally shot himself in the head with a nail gun in January 2012, Autullo thought he had only suffered a small cut . . . so he went back to work! Later, he started to feel nauseous and doctors subsequently found the nail lodged in the center of his brain. Amazingly, Dante came through surgery with no side effects, but with a new titanium plate in his skull.
It can be frustrating when unbelievers can’t seem to understand their need for salvation. They’re oblivious. The apostle Paul explained that a person who doesn’t have the Holy Spirit will consider God’s plan of salvation “foolish” (1 Corinthians 1:14). Later, in the same letter to the church at Corinth, he wrote, “No one can say, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ except by the Holy Spirit” (12:3).
Does this mean we shouldn’t present reasons for our beliefs to others? No. But it does mean that faith “trusts not in human wisdom, but in the power of God” (2:5). We’re “Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making His appeal through us” (2 Corinthians 2:20). And what we speak are not “words that come from human wisdom. Instead, we speak words given to us by the Spirit” (1 Corinthians 1:13). We can’t convince unbelievers of their need for salvation. Only the power of God through the work of His Holy Spirit can accomplish it (v.10;Romans 1:16).
We can’t force people to turn from the wisdom of this world. But we also know that “the foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans” (1 Corinthians 1:25).
Let’s keep sharing the good news, recognizing that only God can turn people from being oblivious into true believers.
In 2 Corinthians 2:4, check out who has blinded unbelievers to their need for Jesus.
How does it encourage you in your witness for Jesus to know that only the Holy Spirit can open unbelievers’ eyes? What will you do to share God’s “foolishness” with others today?
- View from a Distance - Why is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?...read more
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more