Myth No MoreWhy must God judge His enemies and make things right?
Top Music Videos
But people who aren’t spiritual can’t receive these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them . . . for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means. (v.14).
Dante Autullo had no idea that a 3.5-inch nail was embedded in his brain. He was totally oblivious. Having accidentally shot himself in the head with a nail gun in January 2012, Autullo thought he had only suffered a small cut . . . so he went back to work! Later, he started to feel nauseous and doctors subsequently found the nail lodged in the center of his brain. Amazingly, Dante came through surgery with no side effects, but with a new titanium plate in his skull.
It can be frustrating when unbelievers can’t seem to understand their need for salvation. They’re oblivious. The apostle Paul explained that a person who doesn’t have the Holy Spirit will consider God’s plan of salvation “foolish” (1 Corinthians 1:14). Later, in the same letter to the church at Corinth, he wrote, “No one can say, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ except by the Holy Spirit” (12:3).
Does this mean we shouldn’t present reasons for our beliefs to others? No. But it does mean that faith “trusts not in human wisdom, but in the power of God” (2:5). We’re “Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making His appeal through us” (2 Corinthians 2:20). And what we speak are not “words that come from human wisdom. Instead, we speak words given to us by the Spirit” (1 Corinthians 1:13). We can’t convince unbelievers of their need for salvation. Only the power of God through the work of His Holy Spirit can accomplish it (v.10;Romans 1:16).
We can’t force people to turn from the wisdom of this world. But we also know that “the foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans” (1 Corinthians 1:25).
Let’s keep sharing the good news, recognizing that only God can turn people from being oblivious into true believers.
In 2 Corinthians 2:4, check out who has blinded unbelievers to their need for Jesus.
How does it encourage you in your witness for Jesus to know that only the Holy Spirit can open unbelievers’ eyes? What will you do to share God’s “foolishness” with others today?
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more