Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Dogs, Cats & Whales
I cried out to the Lord in my great trouble, and He answered me (v.2).
Frank’s dog tormented cats. So when Thor broke free
one day and ran off, Frank got a bad feeling. Sure
enough, the dog snatched a poor, unsuspecting cat
in its jaws. But then, out of the shadows, came a furious
streak of gray—another cat! Launching itself onto Thor’s
back, it viciously raked the dog’s eyes and nose. The
hapless hound promptly freed his victim, but the attack
“Frank, do something!” exclaimed his shocked wife.
“Oh no,” he replied. “He’s had this coming for a long
time.” At last the dog slumped to the ground in surrender.
The triumphant cat strolled off defiantly, leaving the
chastened canine in its wake. “My dog had seen the
error of his ways,” Frank laughs. He reports that his
mangled mutt has never again attacked a cat.
Had Thor not been humbled, he would have continued
to be cruel to cats. Jonah could relate. No, he wasn’t
cruel to animals. But he had to hit the very bottom—
literally—before he surrendered to God.
You know the story. Jonah had been thrown
overboard and was now residing inside a large fish.
That’s the moment he got real with God. “I sank down
to the very roots of the mountains,” Jonah said. “But
you, O Lord my God, snatched me from the jaws of
death! As my life was slipping away, I remembered the
Lord” (Jonah 2:6-7).
It took a literal watery grave to get Jonah to turn to God in complete honesty.
“My earnest prayer went out to you,” said Jonah (v.7). The result was Jonah’s
rescue and release (v.10).
So often, we seem to change only when we have no other options. But that’s
precisely where God meets us! Our dead-end situations are opportunities to
turn in raw, desperate honesty to Him.
Read Psalms 28:1, King David’s desperate but hopeful song to the God who rescued him.
Jonah 2:8 speaks about false gods. Are there any false gods you might be
worshiping? What are you clinging to that is keeping you from being
completely honest with God?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more