LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
I was 15 years old when I first witnessed a basketball player score for the opposing team. It was late in a game, and my team had the contest in hand. One by one, my coach began sending in players who rarely got a chance to play.
One of my teammates, Sam, bounced out on the court with tremendous enthusiasm. He received a pass, gave the defender a quick fake, and dribbled down court, the wrong way. We tried to wave Sam off and yelled for him to stop, but he was determined to score. And he did, for the other team!
Jesus told a story about a young man headed the wrong way in life (Luke 15:11-32). Soon after demanding his portion of his father's estate, he "packed all his belongings and moved to a distant land, and there he wasted all his money in wild living" (v.13). Things went from bad to worse. Soon a famine struck, resulting in work and food being scarce.
Hungry and penniless, the wayward son finally came to his senses and made his way back home. To the son's surprise, his father was eagerly waiting for him to return and welcomed him with hugs and a huge party (vv.20-24).
It's not what the young man deserved, but Jesus' story reminds us of the grace God extends to any of His wayward children who return to Him. By Jesus' sacrifice for our sins, He forgives and celebrates our return! He doesn't shame His kids for losing their way.
When we rebel and go our own way, it isn't long before we face the bitterness of our choices and struggle with our next move. The best move is to turn back to God, bowing before Him in true repentance and then being stunned by His grace and acceptance. , Jeff Olson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more