Next StepsHave you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?
Top Christian Music Videos
History’s Steady Tune
Come, follow Me (John 1:43).
George Jellinek, former host of The Vocal Sceneradio program, says “the history of a people is found in its songs.” Years ago, music was a crucial way for slaves in the US to recount their stories, and music was central to the way the Civil Rights movement retold its vision. If you want to know a culture or its people, you have to know the music they used to pass along their stories. This is how the people in ancient Israel used the Psalms—their stories and prayers helped them to remember God, particularly in the long years when God was silent.
Psalm 82 is a song inhabiting one of those God-droughts when the people’s hope in God did not match their experience of God. The Jews believed God to be righteous and good, one who gives “justice to the poor and the orphan” (v.3). However, their experience had bruised their persistent faith. Rather than being protected, the poor and helpless were in “the grasp of evil people” (v.4). We understand this. In our world, the greedy often gain power and wealth while the weak, hungry, and orphaned are left to muddle on in poverty. If God is so good and so powerful, why don’t we see more of His power displayed?
Unnerved by their own thinning faith, God’s people prayed. Their song offered bold, desperate, hopeful words. “Rise up, O God, and judge the earth, for all the nations belong to you” (v.8). While God’s seeming inaction perplexed them, they believed God was their only hope. Only God could judge. Only God could make wrong things right.
We are not forgotten. This moment is but one refrain of a very long, very old song. From its first chord, history has sung a steady tune. Our faith compels us to sing along. God is the song that history sings.
Read Revelation 20:7. How does the story end? What kind of power and certainty do you see here?
Where are you tempted to believe God is not acting in your life or world? How does God’s character (and God’s strength) reinterpret the way you understand His activity?
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more