Calling on the AirIn what ways have you called on God for direction ?
Top Christian Music Videos
History’s Steady Tune
Come, follow Me (John 1:43).
George Jellinek, former host of The Vocal Sceneradio program, says “the history of a people is found in its songs.” Years ago, music was a crucial way for slaves in the US to recount their stories, and music was central to the way the Civil Rights movement retold its vision. If you want to know a culture or its people, you have to know the music they used to pass along their stories. This is how the people in ancient Israel used the Psalms—their stories and prayers helped them to remember God, particularly in the long years when God was silent.
Psalm 82 is a song inhabiting one of those God-droughts when the people’s hope in God did not match their experience of God. The Jews believed God to be righteous and good, one who gives “justice to the poor and the orphan” (v.3). However, their experience had bruised their persistent faith. Rather than being protected, the poor and helpless were in “the grasp of evil people” (v.4). We understand this. In our world, the greedy often gain power and wealth while the weak, hungry, and orphaned are left to muddle on in poverty. If God is so good and so powerful, why don’t we see more of His power displayed?
Unnerved by their own thinning faith, God’s people prayed. Their song offered bold, desperate, hopeful words. “Rise up, O God, and judge the earth, for all the nations belong to you” (v.8). While God’s seeming inaction perplexed them, they believed God was their only hope. Only God could judge. Only God could make wrong things right.
We are not forgotten. This moment is but one refrain of a very long, very old song. From its first chord, history has sung a steady tune. Our faith compels us to sing along. God is the song that history sings.
Read Revelation 20:7. How does the story end? What kind of power and certainty do you see here?
Where are you tempted to believe God is not acting in your life or world? How does God’s character (and God’s strength) reinterpret the way you understand His activity?
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more
- Songs in the Night - What’s your favorite worship song?...read more