A Little FartherDo you hear much about lament in your local church?
Top Christian Music Videos
Faith In The Famine
1 Kings 17:2
So Elijah did as the Lord told him (v.5).
During the time period of the Kings, Israel didn’t
forsake God, but they mixed faith in Him with
faith in gods of fertility and rain. Perhaps they
were thinking: It can’t hurt to ask a few more gods for a
bountiful harvest, right?
Amid that spiritually dark landscape, one person stood
out because of his different approach. The prophet Elijah
stood strong in faith even though, as James reminds us,
he “was as human as we are” (5:17).
In 1 Kings 17, Elijah literally trusted God for his next
meal, living out Matthew 6:31-33: “So don’t worry
about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will
we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate
the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father
already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God
above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you
everything you need.”
Famine was in the air. How would Elijah find food?
But Elijah didn’t need to worry. For the Lord said, “Hide
by Kerith Brook, near where it enters the Jordan River.
Drink from the brook and eat what the ravens bring
you, for I have commanded them to bring you food”
(1 Kings 17:3-4).
Kerith Brook was a seasonal stream that supplied
water only during the winter rains. Surely, the water
supply wouldn’t last through the drought of Elijah’s day.
And ravens? They were considered to be unclean creatures! (Leviticus 11:13-15).
Yet, despite that, we read: “Elijah did as the Lord told him” (1 Kings 17:5).
Elijah showed us that we can live by faith, for God is faithful. Every day the
ravens brought him food; and every day the grain and oil was replenished—just as
God had promised. Like Elijah, let’s follow God by faith today.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 25:10 to see how God faithfully leads those He loves.
How are you resting in God’s promises, instead of seeking other sources
for help? What promises of His do you cling to today?
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more