In the GapWhat has God equipped you with to intercede for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Faith In The Famine
1 Kings 17:2
So Elijah did as the Lord told him (v.5).
During the time period of the Kings, Israel didn’t
forsake God, but they mixed faith in Him with
faith in gods of fertility and rain. Perhaps they
were thinking: It can’t hurt to ask a few more gods for a
bountiful harvest, right?
Amid that spiritually dark landscape, one person stood
out because of his different approach. The prophet Elijah
stood strong in faith even though, as James reminds us,
he “was as human as we are” (5:17).
In 1 Kings 17, Elijah literally trusted God for his next
meal, living out Matthew 6:31-33: “So don’t worry
about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will
we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate
the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father
already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God
above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you
everything you need.”
Famine was in the air. How would Elijah find food?
But Elijah didn’t need to worry. For the Lord said, “Hide
by Kerith Brook, near where it enters the Jordan River.
Drink from the brook and eat what the ravens bring
you, for I have commanded them to bring you food”
(1 Kings 17:3-4).
Kerith Brook was a seasonal stream that supplied
water only during the winter rains. Surely, the water
supply wouldn’t last through the drought of Elijah’s day.
And ravens? They were considered to be unclean creatures! (Leviticus 11:13-15).
Yet, despite that, we read: “Elijah did as the Lord told him” (1 Kings 17:5).
Elijah showed us that we can live by faith, for God is faithful. Every day the
ravens brought him food; and every day the grain and oil was replenished—just as
God had promised. Like Elijah, let’s follow God by faith today.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 25:10 to see how God faithfully leads those He loves.
How are you resting in God’s promises, instead of seeking other sources
for help? What promises of His do you cling to today?
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more
- Winning Wars - How has God equipped others to help you make wise decisions?...read more