What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
Faith In The Famine
1 Kings 17:2
So Elijah did as the Lord told him (v.5).
During the time period of the Kings, Israel didn’t
forsake God, but they mixed faith in Him with
faith in gods of fertility and rain. Perhaps they
were thinking: It can’t hurt to ask a few more gods for a
bountiful harvest, right?
Amid that spiritually dark landscape, one person stood
out because of his different approach. The prophet Elijah
stood strong in faith even though, as James reminds us,
he “was as human as we are” (5:17).
In 1 Kings 17, Elijah literally trusted God for his next
meal, living out Matthew 6:31-33: “So don’t worry
about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will
we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate
the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father
already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God
above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you
everything you need.”
Famine was in the air. How would Elijah find food?
But Elijah didn’t need to worry. For the Lord said, “Hide
by Kerith Brook, near where it enters the Jordan River.
Drink from the brook and eat what the ravens bring
you, for I have commanded them to bring you food”
(1 Kings 17:3-4).
Kerith Brook was a seasonal stream that supplied
water only during the winter rains. Surely, the water
supply wouldn’t last through the drought of Elijah’s day.
And ravens? They were considered to be unclean creatures! (Leviticus 11:13-15).
Yet, despite that, we read: “Elijah did as the Lord told him” (1 Kings 17:5).
Elijah showed us that we can live by faith, for God is faithful. Every day the
ravens brought him food; and every day the grain and oil was replenished—just as
God had promised. Like Elijah, let’s follow God by faith today.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 25:10 to see how God faithfully leads those He loves.
How are you resting in God’s promises, instead of seeking other sources
for help? What promises of His do you cling to today?
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more