Right and Wrong WordsIs your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?
Top Christian Music Videos
Faith In The Famine
1 Kings 17:2
So Elijah did as the Lord told him (v.5).
During the time period of the Kings, Israel didn’t
forsake God, but they mixed faith in Him with
faith in gods of fertility and rain. Perhaps they
were thinking: It can’t hurt to ask a few more gods for a
bountiful harvest, right?
Amid that spiritually dark landscape, one person stood
out because of his different approach. The prophet Elijah
stood strong in faith even though, as James reminds us,
he “was as human as we are” (5:17).
In 1 Kings 17, Elijah literally trusted God for his next
meal, living out Matthew 6:31-33: “So don’t worry
about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will
we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate
the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father
already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God
above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you
everything you need.”
Famine was in the air. How would Elijah find food?
But Elijah didn’t need to worry. For the Lord said, “Hide
by Kerith Brook, near where it enters the Jordan River.
Drink from the brook and eat what the ravens bring
you, for I have commanded them to bring you food”
(1 Kings 17:3-4).
Kerith Brook was a seasonal stream that supplied
water only during the winter rains. Surely, the water
supply wouldn’t last through the drought of Elijah’s day.
And ravens? They were considered to be unclean creatures! (Leviticus 11:13-15).
Yet, despite that, we read: “Elijah did as the Lord told him” (1 Kings 17:5).
Elijah showed us that we can live by faith, for God is faithful. Every day the
ravens brought him food; and every day the grain and oil was replenished—just as
God had promised. Like Elijah, let’s follow God by faith today.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 25:10 to see how God faithfully leads those He loves.
How are you resting in God’s promises, instead of seeking other sources
for help? What promises of His do you cling to today?
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more