John's QuestionWhat steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?
Top Music Videos
Faith In The Famine
1 Kings 17:2
So Elijah did as the Lord told him (v.5).
During the time period of the Kings, Israel didn’t
forsake God, but they mixed faith in Him with
faith in gods of fertility and rain. Perhaps they
were thinking: It can’t hurt to ask a few more gods for a
bountiful harvest, right?
Amid that spiritually dark landscape, one person stood
out because of his different approach. The prophet Elijah
stood strong in faith even though, as James reminds us,
he “was as human as we are” (5:17).
In 1 Kings 17, Elijah literally trusted God for his next
meal, living out Matthew 6:31-33: “So don’t worry
about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will
we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate
the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father
already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God
above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you
everything you need.”
Famine was in the air. How would Elijah find food?
But Elijah didn’t need to worry. For the Lord said, “Hide
by Kerith Brook, near where it enters the Jordan River.
Drink from the brook and eat what the ravens bring
you, for I have commanded them to bring you food”
(1 Kings 17:3-4).
Kerith Brook was a seasonal stream that supplied
water only during the winter rains. Surely, the water
supply wouldn’t last through the drought of Elijah’s day.
And ravens? They were considered to be unclean creatures! (Leviticus 11:13-15).
Yet, despite that, we read: “Elijah did as the Lord told him” (1 Kings 17:5).
Elijah showed us that we can live by faith, for God is faithful. Every day the
ravens brought him food; and every day the grain and oil was replenished—just as
God had promised. Like Elijah, let’s follow God by faith today.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 25:10 to see how God faithfully leads those He loves.
How are you resting in God’s promises, instead of seeking other sources
for help? What promises of His do you cling to today?
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more