Responding to SufferingHow do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?
Top Music Videos
The Glory of Jesus
This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed His glory. And His disciples believed in Him (v.11).
Wedding receptions. I’m not opposed to attending them. But, honestly, if I can avoid going to one, you’ll get no complaints from me. (Note: This does not apply to the day when either of my daughters marry!)
There is, however, one wedding reception I would have paid money to attend—the wedding feast in Cana when Jesus turned water into wine (John 2:1). Weddings feasts in those days could last for days. It was a community celebration where guests were served food and drink, including that famous one made from grapes. At some point during this reception, the wine ran out, which was a huge cultural no-no. To run out of it at one’s wedding was a public disgrace for the newly married couple—something that could negatively reflect on them for the rest of their lives. So Mary, Jesus’ mother, asked her son to intervene (v.3).
Having compassion for the newlywed couple’s predicament, Jesus stepped in. He told the servants to fill six stone jars with water, each with the capacity to hold 20 to 30 gallons (vv.6-7). Do the math. That’s between 120 and 180 gallons of wine. That’s enough to get a person excommunicated from some churches! Just kidding. Then Jesus told them to draw some out and to take it to the master of the banquet. He was most impressed with the wine’s quality (v.8).
The disciples were floored. They were finally beginning to understand Jesus’ glory. They saw it in His power, for sure. But that’s not the only thing they saw. They also began to see a person of great kindness, generosity, and understanding. He salvaged the young couple’s reputation and allowed the celebration to continue.
That’s the “glory” that captured the disciples’ hearts and caused them to put their faith in Him (John 2:11). The glory of God.
Read John 1:14 and notice how John summarizes the glory of Jesus.
Where do you see Jesus’ glory present in your life? Why is it vital that we give all glory to God?
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more