Prayerful RetreatHow often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Glory of Jesus
This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed His glory. And His disciples believed in Him (v.11).
Wedding receptions. I’m not opposed to attending them. But, honestly, if I can avoid going to one, you’ll get no complaints from me. (Note: This does not apply to the day when either of my daughters marry!)
There is, however, one wedding reception I would have paid money to attend—the wedding feast in Cana when Jesus turned water into wine (John 2:1). Weddings feasts in those days could last for days. It was a community celebration where guests were served food and drink, including that famous one made from grapes. At some point during this reception, the wine ran out, which was a huge cultural no-no. To run out of it at one’s wedding was a public disgrace for the newly married couple—something that could negatively reflect on them for the rest of their lives. So Mary, Jesus’ mother, asked her son to intervene (v.3).
Having compassion for the newlywed couple’s predicament, Jesus stepped in. He told the servants to fill six stone jars with water, each with the capacity to hold 20 to 30 gallons (vv.6-7). Do the math. That’s between 120 and 180 gallons of wine. That’s enough to get a person excommunicated from some churches! Just kidding. Then Jesus told them to draw some out and to take it to the master of the banquet. He was most impressed with the wine’s quality (v.8).
The disciples were floored. They were finally beginning to understand Jesus’ glory. They saw it in His power, for sure. But that’s not the only thing they saw. They also began to see a person of great kindness, generosity, and understanding. He salvaged the young couple’s reputation and allowed the celebration to continue.
That’s the “glory” that captured the disciples’ hearts and caused them to put their faith in Him (John 2:11). The glory of God.
Read John 1:14 and notice how John summarizes the glory of Jesus.
Where do you see Jesus’ glory present in your life? Why is it vital that we give all glory to God?
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more