What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
The Glory of Jesus
This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed His glory. And His disciples believed in Him (v.11).
Wedding receptions. I’m not opposed to attending them. But, honestly, if I can avoid going to one, you’ll get no complaints from me. (Note: This does not apply to the day when either of my daughters marry!)
There is, however, one wedding reception I would have paid money to attend—the wedding feast in Cana when Jesus turned water into wine (John 2:1). Weddings feasts in those days could last for days. It was a community celebration where guests were served food and drink, including that famous one made from grapes. At some point during this reception, the wine ran out, which was a huge cultural no-no. To run out of it at one’s wedding was a public disgrace for the newly married couple—something that could negatively reflect on them for the rest of their lives. So Mary, Jesus’ mother, asked her son to intervene (v.3).
Having compassion for the newlywed couple’s predicament, Jesus stepped in. He told the servants to fill six stone jars with water, each with the capacity to hold 20 to 30 gallons (vv.6-7). Do the math. That’s between 120 and 180 gallons of wine. That’s enough to get a person excommunicated from some churches! Just kidding. Then Jesus told them to draw some out and to take it to the master of the banquet. He was most impressed with the wine’s quality (v.8).
The disciples were floored. They were finally beginning to understand Jesus’ glory. They saw it in His power, for sure. But that’s not the only thing they saw. They also began to see a person of great kindness, generosity, and understanding. He salvaged the young couple’s reputation and allowed the celebration to continue.
That’s the “glory” that captured the disciples’ hearts and caused them to put their faith in Him (John 2:11). The glory of God.
Read John 1:14 and notice how John summarizes the glory of Jesus.
Where do you see Jesus’ glory present in your life? Why is it vital that we give all glory to God?
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more