The Gift of LoveHow should you respond to such a great love?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Privilege of Children
The Lord is like a father to His children, tender and compassionate to
those who fear Him (v.13).
Erik Hatzinger confessed to stealing money from
several businesses over many months. He seems
to be repentant, for when the judge ordered him to
pay $13,000 in restitution, Erik informed the judge that
he had stolen more and would like to pay it all back.
“That’s the son I raised,” his mother told a reporter.
“I’m not surprised he wanted to take responsibility for
what he’d done. He really wants to make amends.”
Leave it to a parent to find the silver lining in her convict
child. Others may have pointed out Erik’s crimes, but she
focused on the judge’s comment that her son is the most
repentant criminal he’d ever seen.
David, who committed a few crimes of his own, said
our God is a compassionate Father who “does not
punish us for all our sins; He does not deal harshly with
us, as we deserve,” but “He remembers we are only
dust” (Psalm 103:10,14).
John Calvin explained that endless acceptance is the
special privilege of children. Slaves work hard to satisfy
their master, knowing they might be punished for doing
a poor job. “But children, who are more liberally and
kindly treated by their fathers, do not fear to present
to their fathers their rough and half-done works, and
even ones which have some faults, trusting that their
obedience and good will are acceptable to their father
even if they have not done what he wanted.”
We want to please our Father, but how comforting to know that our best is
enough—even when it’s not. If you suffer from the burden of perfectionism, if
you put off assignments for fear that they’ll never be good enough, remember
that you are God’s child. He might demand perfection from a slave, but all He
wants from you is love.
What task or failure is weighing heavily on your heart? How might it help
you to remember that you are God’s child?
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more