Testing for TruthIs the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?
Top Music Videos
The Privilege of Children
The Lord is like a father to His children, tender and compassionate to
those who fear Him (v.13).
Erik Hatzinger confessed to stealing money from
several businesses over many months. He seems
to be repentant, for when the judge ordered him to
pay $13,000 in restitution, Erik informed the judge that
he had stolen more and would like to pay it all back.
“That’s the son I raised,” his mother told a reporter.
“I’m not surprised he wanted to take responsibility for
what he’d done. He really wants to make amends.”
Leave it to a parent to find the silver lining in her convict
child. Others may have pointed out Erik’s crimes, but she
focused on the judge’s comment that her son is the most
repentant criminal he’d ever seen.
David, who committed a few crimes of his own, said
our God is a compassionate Father who “does not
punish us for all our sins; He does not deal harshly with
us, as we deserve,” but “He remembers we are only
dust” (Psalm 103:10,14).
John Calvin explained that endless acceptance is the
special privilege of children. Slaves work hard to satisfy
their master, knowing they might be punished for doing
a poor job. “But children, who are more liberally and
kindly treated by their fathers, do not fear to present
to their fathers their rough and half-done works, and
even ones which have some faults, trusting that their
obedience and good will are acceptable to their father
even if they have not done what he wanted.”
We want to please our Father, but how comforting to know that our best is
enough—even when it’s not. If you suffer from the burden of perfectionism, if
you put off assignments for fear that they’ll never be good enough, remember
that you are God’s child. He might demand perfection from a slave, but all He
wants from you is love.
What task or failure is weighing heavily on your heart? How might it help
you to remember that you are God’s child?
- Testing for Truth - Is the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?...read more
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more