Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
The Privilege of Children
The Lord is like a father to His children, tender and compassionate to
those who fear Him (v.13).
Erik Hatzinger confessed to stealing money from
several businesses over many months. He seems
to be repentant, for when the judge ordered him to
pay $13,000 in restitution, Erik informed the judge that
he had stolen more and would like to pay it all back.
“That’s the son I raised,” his mother told a reporter.
“I’m not surprised he wanted to take responsibility for
what he’d done. He really wants to make amends.”
Leave it to a parent to find the silver lining in her convict
child. Others may have pointed out Erik’s crimes, but she
focused on the judge’s comment that her son is the most
repentant criminal he’d ever seen.
David, who committed a few crimes of his own, said
our God is a compassionate Father who “does not
punish us for all our sins; He does not deal harshly with
us, as we deserve,” but “He remembers we are only
dust” (Psalm 103:10,14).
John Calvin explained that endless acceptance is the
special privilege of children. Slaves work hard to satisfy
their master, knowing they might be punished for doing
a poor job. “But children, who are more liberally and
kindly treated by their fathers, do not fear to present
to their fathers their rough and half-done works, and
even ones which have some faults, trusting that their
obedience and good will are acceptable to their father
even if they have not done what he wanted.”
We want to please our Father, but how comforting to know that our best is
enough—even when it’s not. If you suffer from the burden of perfectionism, if
you put off assignments for fear that they’ll never be good enough, remember
that you are God’s child. He might demand perfection from a slave, but all He
wants from you is love.
What task or failure is weighing heavily on your heart? How might it help
you to remember that you are God’s child?
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more