Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Former US President Franklin Roosevelt was not a fan of the long receiving lines he often endured at the White House. He complained that no one really paid any attention to what was said during the greet-fests. One day, he decided to try an experiment. To each person who came through the line to shake his hand, he murmured, "I murdered my grandmother this morning." The guests responded with phrases like, "Marvelous!" "Keep up the good work." "God bless you, sir."
Franklin Roosevelt's experiment was successful in proving his theory. It also underscored a sad reality: We often don't listen well.
Proverbs 18:13 warns that "spouting off before listening to the facts is both shameful and foolish." Why? Because "the tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences" (v.21). For example, â€¢ Words can crush the spirit. And a crushed spirit is more unbearable than a sick body (v.14). â€¢ Words can separate friends. And an offended friend is harder to win back than a fortified city (v.19).
Fortunately, the opposite is also true. Listen to these thoughts from Proverbs: â€¢ We must listen to facts. Learn with a discerning ear and ferret out the facts (v.13). â€¢ We must listen with open ears. Don't allow certain words and phrases to prejudice you from listening objectively. And don't avoid listening to things that you may feel are too difficult to understand (v.15). â€¢ We must listen to both sides of a dispute. It's foolish to jump to conclusions and rush to judgment; the wise take time to discern (v.17).
Take the time to truly listen to others today. , Poh Fang Chia, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more