Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Former US President Franklin Roosevelt was not a fan of the long receiving lines he often endured at the White House. He complained that no one really paid any attention to what was said during the greet-fests. One day, he decided to try an experiment. To each person who came through the line to shake his hand, he murmured, "I murdered my grandmother this morning." The guests responded with phrases like, "Marvelous!" "Keep up the good work." "God bless you, sir."
Franklin Roosevelt's experiment was successful in proving his theory. It also underscored a sad reality: We often don't listen well.
Proverbs 18:13 warns that "spouting off before listening to the facts is both shameful and foolish." Why? Because "the tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences" (v.21). For example, â€¢ Words can crush the spirit. And a crushed spirit is more unbearable than a sick body (v.14). â€¢ Words can separate friends. And an offended friend is harder to win back than a fortified city (v.19).
Fortunately, the opposite is also true. Listen to these thoughts from Proverbs: â€¢ We must listen to facts. Learn with a discerning ear and ferret out the facts (v.13). â€¢ We must listen with open ears. Don't allow certain words and phrases to prejudice you from listening objectively. And don't avoid listening to things that you may feel are too difficult to understand (v.15). â€¢ We must listen to both sides of a dispute. It's foolish to jump to conclusions and rush to judgment; the wise take time to discern (v.17).
Take the time to truly listen to others today. , Poh Fang Chia, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more