Stinging WordsHow have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?
Top Music Videos
We also pray that you will be strengthened with all His glorious power
Contestants in the Wife Carrying World
Championships meet in the Finnish town of
Sonkajärvi. During the contest, men tote their
wives a full 831 feet through gravel, grass, and sand,
over two obstacles and through water. Dropping your
wife means a 15-second penalty—not to mention
dealing with an angry woman.
When it comes to marriage, I’m convinced that men
need to carry their wives, and wives need to carry their
husbands—so to speak. One important way to “carry”
your spouse is through prayer.
If your loved one has slipped down a couple of
notches on your prayer list, try some new angles. One
idea is to ask God to give your husband or wife a
“complete knowledge of His will” (Colossians 1:9).
Wouldn’t it be great to have God’s wisdom for all of our
family-related decisions, like how we should discipline
our kids, best help our parents, and decide which local
church to attend?
Besides knowing God’s wisdom, most of us need
strength to meet life’s challenges. Paul prayed for the
early believers to be “strengthened with all [God’s]
glorious power” (v.12) so they would have “all the
endurance and patience [they would] need.” If your
spouse needs help in some area, ask God to give him or
her staying power to deal with the problem.
While you’re at it, don’t forget to ask God to bless your spouse with joy
and a spirit of thankfulness (v.11). Many times an improved outlook can shrink
mountain-sized issues down to their true dimensions.
When my husband says, “I’m praying for you,” it comforts me. I know he won’t
drop me in this race of life. I also know that the Bible says, “The earnest prayer of a
righteous person has great power” (James 5:16).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How do you feel when someone close to you tells you he or she is
praying for you? How will you begin praying more intentionally for
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more