VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
Laws of Love
Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose (v.17).
Driving to work one day, I had a revelation. I realized that speed limits had been set to protect me and those around me, not to hamper my freedom or prove that I was a lawbreaker. If I sped and lost control of my car I could hurt myself, the lady driving toward me, or the man on the sidewalk. The traffic laws are in place because human life is valuable and should be protected.
I made a similar discovery with the Ten Commandments. This “law of Moses” was meant to protect life and help people flourish (Deuteronomy 6:24, Deuteronomy 10:13, Deuteronomy 12:28). You can’t flourish when your life is in danger (Exodus 20:13), when your belongings have been stolen (v.15), or you’re being pursued by a stalker (v.17). You can’t flourish by working without a break (vv.8-11), taking murderous revenge (v.13), or worshiping anything but God (vv.2-4).
So it’s no surprise that Jesus said He hadn’t come to abolish the law of Moses (Matthew 5:17). Speeding, theft, murder, and idolatry were still destructive even after Jesus came, so why take away the “guardrails”? What He came to do was fulfillthe law—to fill it up with meaning, to restore its life-protecting intent, and to wrest it back from the religious teachers who had distorted it by turning it into a system of merit-keeping before God. This is what He spells out in the remainder of the Sermon on the Mount (5:1–7:28).
The Old Testament prophets spoke of a day when a Messiah would come and when God would put His laws into our hearts and give us His Spirit (Jeremiah 31:33; Ezekiel 36:27). That Messiah has come! Jesus shows us the life-protecting intent of God’s law and gives us power by His Spirit to live it.
How have you sought acceptance from God by trying to live by Old Testament laws? Do you ever do the opposite and dismiss these laws altogether?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more