Autograph of the OrdinaryDo you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?
Top Christian Music Videos
Laws of Love
Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose (v.17).
Driving to work one day, I had a revelation. I realized that speed limits had been set to protect me and those around me, not to hamper my freedom or prove that I was a lawbreaker. If I sped and lost control of my car I could hurt myself, the lady driving toward me, or the man on the sidewalk. The traffic laws are in place because human life is valuable and should be protected.
I made a similar discovery with the Ten Commandments. This “law of Moses” was meant to protect life and help people flourish (Deuteronomy 6:24, Deuteronomy 10:13, Deuteronomy 12:28). You can’t flourish when your life is in danger (Exodus 20:13), when your belongings have been stolen (v.15), or you’re being pursued by a stalker (v.17). You can’t flourish by working without a break (vv.8-11), taking murderous revenge (v.13), or worshiping anything but God (vv.2-4).
So it’s no surprise that Jesus said He hadn’t come to abolish the law of Moses (Matthew 5:17). Speeding, theft, murder, and idolatry were still destructive even after Jesus came, so why take away the “guardrails”? What He came to do was fulfillthe law—to fill it up with meaning, to restore its life-protecting intent, and to wrest it back from the religious teachers who had distorted it by turning it into a system of merit-keeping before God. This is what He spells out in the remainder of the Sermon on the Mount (5:1–7:28).
The Old Testament prophets spoke of a day when a Messiah would come and when God would put His laws into our hearts and give us His Spirit (Jeremiah 31:33; Ezekiel 36:27). That Messiah has come! Jesus shows us the life-protecting intent of God’s law and gives us power by His Spirit to live it.
How have you sought acceptance from God by trying to live by Old Testament laws? Do you ever do the opposite and dismiss these laws altogether?
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more