Myth No MoreWhy must God judge His enemies and make things right?
Top Music Videos
Love is patient and kind (1 Corinthians 13:4).
It’s ironic that superstar chef Gordon Ramsay doesn’t take long to reach full boil. If he deems someone isn’t taking his sage advice on how to use sage or cilantro, he goes ballistic. His meltdowns on the show Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmaresare legendary. Gordon could definitely use some of the “seasoning” that the apostle Paul wrote about in Colossians 3.
Paul encouraged his readers to “put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you” (v.5). Among other virtues for them to pursue, the former persecutor of Christians lifted up patience. He then wrote, “Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends. Remember the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others” (v.13).
All of the godly virtues flow from love. And what does Paul say that love entails? “Love is patient and kind” (1 Corinthians 13:4). Max Lucado writes, “The Greek word used here for patience is a descriptive one. It figuratively means “taking a long time to boil.” Think about a pot of boiling water. What factors determine the speed at which it boils? The size of the stove? No. The pot? The utensil may have an influence, but the primary factor is the intensity of the flame. Water boils quickly when the flame is high. It boils slowly when the flame is low. Patience ‘keeps the burner down’ ” (from A Love Worth Giving).
When we live out a “slow boil” patience before others, Paul says that we’re truly exhibiting the recipe for “love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony” (Colossians 3:14).
What causes you to lose your patience? How can seeing others through God’s loving eyes help you to turn down the burner?
Let’s live loving, patient lives—showing others our new nature in Jesus and the fact that we’re becoming more and more like Him (v.10).
Read Psalm 37:7-9 and consider why it’s so important for us to wait patiently for God to act.
How are patience and love linked? What will help you to become a more patient person?
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more