Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
Love is patient and kind (1 Corinthians 13:4).
It’s ironic that superstar chef Gordon Ramsay doesn’t take long to reach full boil. If he deems someone isn’t taking his sage advice on how to use sage or cilantro, he goes ballistic. His meltdowns on the show Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmaresare legendary. Gordon could definitely use some of the “seasoning” that the apostle Paul wrote about in Colossians 3.
Paul encouraged his readers to “put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you” (v.5). Among other virtues for them to pursue, the former persecutor of Christians lifted up patience. He then wrote, “Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends. Remember the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others” (v.13).
All of the godly virtues flow from love. And what does Paul say that love entails? “Love is patient and kind” (1 Corinthians 13:4). Max Lucado writes, “The Greek word used here for patience is a descriptive one. It figuratively means “taking a long time to boil.” Think about a pot of boiling water. What factors determine the speed at which it boils? The size of the stove? No. The pot? The utensil may have an influence, but the primary factor is the intensity of the flame. Water boils quickly when the flame is high. It boils slowly when the flame is low. Patience ‘keeps the burner down’ ” (from A Love Worth Giving).
When we live out a “slow boil” patience before others, Paul says that we’re truly exhibiting the recipe for “love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony” (Colossians 3:14).
What causes you to lose your patience? How can seeing others through God’s loving eyes help you to turn down the burner?
Let’s live loving, patient lives—showing others our new nature in Jesus and the fact that we’re becoming more and more like Him (v.10).
Read Psalm 37:7-9 and consider why it’s so important for us to wait patiently for God to act.
How are patience and love linked? What will help you to become a more patient person?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more