DistractionWhat’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?
Top Christian Music Videos
Love is patient and kind (1 Corinthians 13:4).
It’s ironic that superstar chef Gordon Ramsay doesn’t take long to reach full boil. If he deems someone isn’t taking his sage advice on how to use sage or cilantro, he goes ballistic. His meltdowns on the show Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmaresare legendary. Gordon could definitely use some of the “seasoning” that the apostle Paul wrote about in Colossians 3.
Paul encouraged his readers to “put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you” (v.5). Among other virtues for them to pursue, the former persecutor of Christians lifted up patience. He then wrote, “Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends. Remember the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others” (v.13).
All of the godly virtues flow from love. And what does Paul say that love entails? “Love is patient and kind” (1 Corinthians 13:4). Max Lucado writes, “The Greek word used here for patience is a descriptive one. It figuratively means “taking a long time to boil.” Think about a pot of boiling water. What factors determine the speed at which it boils? The size of the stove? No. The pot? The utensil may have an influence, but the primary factor is the intensity of the flame. Water boils quickly when the flame is high. It boils slowly when the flame is low. Patience ‘keeps the burner down’ ” (from A Love Worth Giving).
When we live out a “slow boil” patience before others, Paul says that we’re truly exhibiting the recipe for “love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony” (Colossians 3:14).
What causes you to lose your patience? How can seeing others through God’s loving eyes help you to turn down the burner?
Let’s live loving, patient lives—showing others our new nature in Jesus and the fact that we’re becoming more and more like Him (v.10).
Read Psalm 37:7-9 and consider why it’s so important for us to wait patiently for God to act.
How are patience and love linked? What will help you to become a more patient person?
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more