Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
Love is patient and kind (1 Corinthians 13:4).
It’s ironic that superstar chef Gordon Ramsay doesn’t take long to reach full boil. If he deems someone isn’t taking his sage advice on how to use sage or cilantro, he goes ballistic. His meltdowns on the show Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmaresare legendary. Gordon could definitely use some of the “seasoning” that the apostle Paul wrote about in Colossians 3.
Paul encouraged his readers to “put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you” (v.5). Among other virtues for them to pursue, the former persecutor of Christians lifted up patience. He then wrote, “Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends. Remember the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others” (v.13).
All of the godly virtues flow from love. And what does Paul say that love entails? “Love is patient and kind” (1 Corinthians 13:4). Max Lucado writes, “The Greek word used here for patience is a descriptive one. It figuratively means “taking a long time to boil.” Think about a pot of boiling water. What factors determine the speed at which it boils? The size of the stove? No. The pot? The utensil may have an influence, but the primary factor is the intensity of the flame. Water boils quickly when the flame is high. It boils slowly when the flame is low. Patience ‘keeps the burner down’ ” (from A Love Worth Giving).
When we live out a “slow boil” patience before others, Paul says that we’re truly exhibiting the recipe for “love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony” (Colossians 3:14).
What causes you to lose your patience? How can seeing others through God’s loving eyes help you to turn down the burner?
Let’s live loving, patient lives—showing others our new nature in Jesus and the fact that we’re becoming more and more like Him (v.10).
Read Psalm 37:7-9 and consider why it’s so important for us to wait patiently for God to act.
How are patience and love linked? What will help you to become a more patient person?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more