Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Voice and Verse
I have hidden Your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against You (v.11).
Occasionally, my mother’s voice invades my day— from inside my head. I can still hear her say, “Try not to borrow trouble from tomorrow,” and even “Remember to take a jacket.” Sometimes her tone and words come skidding out of my mouth when I’m disciplining my kids! At other times—thankfully—Bible verses occur to me as she would say them. She could (and still can) recite Scripture with as much certainty as I can say my name and address.
My mother learned the meaty, cornerstone verses that define her faith in Christ. Often, she and my father quoted these Scriptures to people who were peddling false teaching. Her example reminds me of this verse: “If someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it” (1 Peter 1:15). There’s no better way to clarify what we believe than to have God’s words imprinted in our minds and ready to leave our lips.
Memorizing Bible verses can help us present God’s truth to others, and it can work within us as well. Since “all Scripture is . . . useful to teach us what is true” (2 Timothy 2:16), committing it to memory helps us fight off incorrect thinking that can lead to sin: I have to impress those people.Happiness is more important than holiness. It’s wrong only if someone gets hurt. These lies can’t survive where God’s truth is present. As the psalm writer said, hiding God’s Word in our hearts prevents us from sinning against Him (Psalms 119:11).
These days, the Bible is more accessible than ever— both in print and online. Because it is often at our fingertips, we may overlook our need to internalize it. Why not consider finding a verse or phrase to memorize. Invite God’s voice to speak to you and through you by the power of His Word.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
If you went to a place where God’s Word was not allowed in written format, how much of it would you be able to bring with you in your heart? Why is the memorization of God’s Word something that can be life-changing?
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more