Taking on Too MuchWhat are you trying to take on that only God can do
Top Music Videos
Voice and Verse
I have hidden Your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against You (v.11).
Occasionally, my mother’s voice invades my day— from inside my head. I can still hear her say, “Try not to borrow trouble from tomorrow,” and even “Remember to take a jacket.” Sometimes her tone and words come skidding out of my mouth when I’m disciplining my kids! At other times—thankfully—Bible verses occur to me as she would say them. She could (and still can) recite Scripture with as much certainty as I can say my name and address.
My mother learned the meaty, cornerstone verses that define her faith in Christ. Often, she and my father quoted these Scriptures to people who were peddling false teaching. Her example reminds me of this verse: “If someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it” (1 Peter 1:15). There’s no better way to clarify what we believe than to have God’s words imprinted in our minds and ready to leave our lips.
Memorizing Bible verses can help us present God’s truth to others, and it can work within us as well. Since “all Scripture is . . . useful to teach us what is true” (2 Timothy 2:16), committing it to memory helps us fight off incorrect thinking that can lead to sin: I have to impress those people.Happiness is more important than holiness. It’s wrong only if someone gets hurt. These lies can’t survive where God’s truth is present. As the psalm writer said, hiding God’s Word in our hearts prevents us from sinning against Him (Psalms 119:11).
These days, the Bible is more accessible than ever— both in print and online. Because it is often at our fingertips, we may overlook our need to internalize it. Why not consider finding a verse or phrase to memorize. Invite God’s voice to speak to you and through you by the power of His Word.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
If you went to a place where God’s Word was not allowed in written format, how much of it would you be able to bring with you in your heart? Why is the memorization of God’s Word something that can be life-changing?
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more