Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Voice and Verse
I have hidden Your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against You (v.11).
Occasionally, my mother’s voice invades my day— from inside my head. I can still hear her say, “Try not to borrow trouble from tomorrow,” and even “Remember to take a jacket.” Sometimes her tone and words come skidding out of my mouth when I’m disciplining my kids! At other times—thankfully—Bible verses occur to me as she would say them. She could (and still can) recite Scripture with as much certainty as I can say my name and address.
My mother learned the meaty, cornerstone verses that define her faith in Christ. Often, she and my father quoted these Scriptures to people who were peddling false teaching. Her example reminds me of this verse: “If someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it” (1 Peter 1:15). There’s no better way to clarify what we believe than to have God’s words imprinted in our minds and ready to leave our lips.
Memorizing Bible verses can help us present God’s truth to others, and it can work within us as well. Since “all Scripture is . . . useful to teach us what is true” (2 Timothy 2:16), committing it to memory helps us fight off incorrect thinking that can lead to sin: I have to impress those people.Happiness is more important than holiness. It’s wrong only if someone gets hurt. These lies can’t survive where God’s truth is present. As the psalm writer said, hiding God’s Word in our hearts prevents us from sinning against Him (Psalms 119:11).
These days, the Bible is more accessible than ever— both in print and online. Because it is often at our fingertips, we may overlook our need to internalize it. Why not consider finding a verse or phrase to memorize. Invite God’s voice to speak to you and through you by the power of His Word.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
If you went to a place where God’s Word was not allowed in written format, how much of it would you be able to bring with you in your heart? Why is the memorization of God’s Word something that can be life-changing?
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more