The Shepherd's VoiceHave you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?
Top Christian Music Videos
Voice and Verse
I have hidden Your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against You (v.11).
Occasionally, my mother’s voice invades my day— from inside my head. I can still hear her say, “Try not to borrow trouble from tomorrow,” and even “Remember to take a jacket.” Sometimes her tone and words come skidding out of my mouth when I’m disciplining my kids! At other times—thankfully—Bible verses occur to me as she would say them. She could (and still can) recite Scripture with as much certainty as I can say my name and address.
My mother learned the meaty, cornerstone verses that define her faith in Christ. Often, she and my father quoted these Scriptures to people who were peddling false teaching. Her example reminds me of this verse: “If someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it” (1 Peter 1:15). There’s no better way to clarify what we believe than to have God’s words imprinted in our minds and ready to leave our lips.
Memorizing Bible verses can help us present God’s truth to others, and it can work within us as well. Since “all Scripture is . . . useful to teach us what is true” (2 Timothy 2:16), committing it to memory helps us fight off incorrect thinking that can lead to sin: I have to impress those people.Happiness is more important than holiness. It’s wrong only if someone gets hurt. These lies can’t survive where God’s truth is present. As the psalm writer said, hiding God’s Word in our hearts prevents us from sinning against Him (Psalms 119:11).
These days, the Bible is more accessible than ever— both in print and online. Because it is often at our fingertips, we may overlook our need to internalize it. Why not consider finding a verse or phrase to memorize. Invite God’s voice to speak to you and through you by the power of His Word.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
If you went to a place where God’s Word was not allowed in written format, how much of it would you be able to bring with you in your heart? Why is the memorization of God’s Word something that can be life-changing?
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more