Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Voice and Verse
I have hidden Your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against You (v.11).
Occasionally, my mother’s voice invades my day— from inside my head. I can still hear her say, “Try not to borrow trouble from tomorrow,” and even “Remember to take a jacket.” Sometimes her tone and words come skidding out of my mouth when I’m disciplining my kids! At other times—thankfully—Bible verses occur to me as she would say them. She could (and still can) recite Scripture with as much certainty as I can say my name and address.
My mother learned the meaty, cornerstone verses that define her faith in Christ. Often, she and my father quoted these Scriptures to people who were peddling false teaching. Her example reminds me of this verse: “If someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it” (1 Peter 1:15). There’s no better way to clarify what we believe than to have God’s words imprinted in our minds and ready to leave our lips.
Memorizing Bible verses can help us present God’s truth to others, and it can work within us as well. Since “all Scripture is . . . useful to teach us what is true” (2 Timothy 2:16), committing it to memory helps us fight off incorrect thinking that can lead to sin: I have to impress those people.Happiness is more important than holiness. It’s wrong only if someone gets hurt. These lies can’t survive where God’s truth is present. As the psalm writer said, hiding God’s Word in our hearts prevents us from sinning against Him (Psalms 119:11).
These days, the Bible is more accessible than ever— both in print and online. Because it is often at our fingertips, we may overlook our need to internalize it. Why not consider finding a verse or phrase to memorize. Invite God’s voice to speak to you and through you by the power of His Word.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
If you went to a place where God’s Word was not allowed in written format, how much of it would you be able to bring with you in your heart? Why is the memorization of God’s Word something that can be life-changing?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more