True FellowshipWhat comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?
Top Music Videos
Love In Action
Come, follow Me (v.43).
During the US civil rights struggle, lovingkindness required the demolishing of unjust laws, but it also required that individuals take deliberate action. It was not enough for whites to take down the “Whites Only” signs or allow blacks to vote. True welcome and relationship required whites to move toward friendship; and it also required blacks to embrace (again and again) the risk of stepping into friendships within contexts where they had been wronged and excluded. It required love in action.
Jesus is God’s love in action, the embodiment of God’s lovingkindness. Jesus lived as the announcement of the arrival of God’s kingdom—a new reality where everyone (Jew and Greek, rich and poor, powerful and oppressed, lovely and unlovely) would be welcome. God did not offer relationship from a distance, but rather, God came close. God pursuedus.
God’s lovingkindness transpired in the cosmic sense (for the whole world), but it also took shape in individual stories. Jesus gathered disciples, calling particular people with particular names. John tells us that Jesus “decided to go to Galilee” where “he found Philip” (v.43). You get the sense that Jesus was searching Philip out, that there was some divine bull’s-eye set on him. Then, after his encounter with Jesus, Philip sought out Nathaniel, just as Jesus had sought him. “Come and see,” Philip said to his friend (v.46).
This is the way lovingkindness works. It floods us, and then it overflows to others. But first, you have to receive it. You must know you’re welcomed, wanted, and loved. God has called you out of the cold, out of aloneness, out of the place where you have been silenced or dismissed. God has called you out and welcomed you home. Now you are free to invite others to do the same as you have done—to come and see.
Go back and read the first part of John 1:1. What other signals do you see of God’s lovingkindness?
Where do you need to receive lovingkindness? Where do you need to give it?
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more