FearlessHow can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?
Top Christian Music Videos
Love In Action
Come, follow Me (v.43).
During the US civil rights struggle, lovingkindness required the demolishing of unjust laws, but it also required that individuals take deliberate action. It was not enough for whites to take down the “Whites Only” signs or allow blacks to vote. True welcome and relationship required whites to move toward friendship; and it also required blacks to embrace (again and again) the risk of stepping into friendships within contexts where they had been wronged and excluded. It required love in action.
Jesus is God’s love in action, the embodiment of God’s lovingkindness. Jesus lived as the announcement of the arrival of God’s kingdom—a new reality where everyone (Jew and Greek, rich and poor, powerful and oppressed, lovely and unlovely) would be welcome. God did not offer relationship from a distance, but rather, God came close. God pursuedus.
God’s lovingkindness transpired in the cosmic sense (for the whole world), but it also took shape in individual stories. Jesus gathered disciples, calling particular people with particular names. John tells us that Jesus “decided to go to Galilee” where “he found Philip” (v.43). You get the sense that Jesus was searching Philip out, that there was some divine bull’s-eye set on him. Then, after his encounter with Jesus, Philip sought out Nathaniel, just as Jesus had sought him. “Come and see,” Philip said to his friend (v.46).
This is the way lovingkindness works. It floods us, and then it overflows to others. But first, you have to receive it. You must know you’re welcomed, wanted, and loved. God has called you out of the cold, out of aloneness, out of the place where you have been silenced or dismissed. God has called you out and welcomed you home. Now you are free to invite others to do the same as you have done—to come and see.
Go back and read the first part of John 1:1. What other signals do you see of God’s lovingkindness?
Where do you need to receive lovingkindness? Where do you need to give it?
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more