Taking on Too MuchWhat are you trying to take on that only God can do
Top Music Videos
Love In Action
Come, follow Me (v.43).
During the US civil rights struggle, lovingkindness required the demolishing of unjust laws, but it also required that individuals take deliberate action. It was not enough for whites to take down the “Whites Only” signs or allow blacks to vote. True welcome and relationship required whites to move toward friendship; and it also required blacks to embrace (again and again) the risk of stepping into friendships within contexts where they had been wronged and excluded. It required love in action.
Jesus is God’s love in action, the embodiment of God’s lovingkindness. Jesus lived as the announcement of the arrival of God’s kingdom—a new reality where everyone (Jew and Greek, rich and poor, powerful and oppressed, lovely and unlovely) would be welcome. God did not offer relationship from a distance, but rather, God came close. God pursuedus.
God’s lovingkindness transpired in the cosmic sense (for the whole world), but it also took shape in individual stories. Jesus gathered disciples, calling particular people with particular names. John tells us that Jesus “decided to go to Galilee” where “he found Philip” (v.43). You get the sense that Jesus was searching Philip out, that there was some divine bull’s-eye set on him. Then, after his encounter with Jesus, Philip sought out Nathaniel, just as Jesus had sought him. “Come and see,” Philip said to his friend (v.46).
This is the way lovingkindness works. It floods us, and then it overflows to others. But first, you have to receive it. You must know you’re welcomed, wanted, and loved. God has called you out of the cold, out of aloneness, out of the place where you have been silenced or dismissed. God has called you out and welcomed you home. Now you are free to invite others to do the same as you have done—to come and see.
Go back and read the first part of John 1:1. What other signals do you see of God’s lovingkindness?
Where do you need to receive lovingkindness? Where do you need to give it?
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more