Rejoicing in Deep NeedWhat happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?
Top Christian Music Videos
What Is a Christian?
All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God (v.14).
Under “religious views” on her Facebook profile, my
wife lists the simple phrase “Jesus-follower.” She
uses that explanatory term to avoid political and
cultural connotations associated with the word Christian.
In some cultures, people are “born Christian.” But that
is a misunderstanding of what it means to follow Jesus.
Ironically, a friend of mine in the United Kingdom asked
me not to use “Jesus-follower” to describe Christians. It
seems that in his culture, the problem is reversed.
My friend told me, “The tag ‘Follower of Jesus’ has
been used to muddy the waters between those who have
a committed relationship to Christ and those in other faith
systems.” He noted that some regard Jesus as a great
man but still less than what He claimed to be. Something
less than the unique, virgin-born Messiah. Something less
than the sinless Lamb of God who was crucified for our
sins. Something less than the resurrected Jesus.
So what is a Christian? Paul gave us a solid definition
in Romans 8. A Christian is one who has been set
free from slavery to sin and its sentence of death.
“There is no condemnation for those who belong to
Christ Jesus,” Paul wrote. “The power of the life-giving
Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads
to death” (vv.1-2). Real Christianity should also have
accompanying evidence. “You are controlled by the
[Holy] Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you,”
he added. “And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ
living in them do not belong to Him at all” (v.9).
“All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God,” Paul concluded
(v.14). “His Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children”
(v.16). That’s not something political or cultural. It’s relational!
Christians have been set free from sin, but what does Romans 7:14
say about our ongoing struggle?
What does it mean to you to be a Christian? How would your
unsaved friends and acquaintances answer that question?
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more