MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
An Ethiopian farmer hid more than $12,000 in a haystack, which unfortunately was home to some hungry rodents. Just three weeks after he stashed the cash, he discovered that rats had chewed through almost one-third of his savings!
When I read about this farmer's misfortune, I couldn't help thinking back to Jesus' words: "Don't store up treasures here on earth" (Matthew 6:19). Why not? Because moths (or rats) might nibble them down to nothing. Because our wealth could become burglar bait. Basically, because anything we store up on earth is temporary.
Maybe that's why we're supposed to "think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth" (Colossians 3:2). An eternal view helps to keep us from becoming consumed by whatever we can glom onto in this life. So, how do we keep from letting our bank accounts get the best of us? Jesus urged us to store up treasures in heaven where decay and loss are non-events. But how?
We're supposed to "be rich in good works and generous to those in need . . . . By doing this [we] will be storing up treasure as a good foundation for the future" (1 Timothy 6:18-19). It's the tangible acts of kindness and love that provide true wealth.
If that's not enough to satisfy our longing for everlasting affluence, we also need to invest in "a rich relationship with God" (Luke 12:21). The closer our connection with Him, the less we'll care about the here-today-gone-tomorrow goodies of this world.
Jesus said, "Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be" (Matthew 6:21). To keep our hearts in the right place, we've got to stockpile treasure in heaven rather than being consumed with whatever we've got stored in the haystack! , Jennifer Benson Schuldt, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more