The Gentle WayWhat does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?
Top Christian Music Videos
A Magnificent Book
We know that we are children of God and that the world around us is under the control of the evil one (1 John 5:19).
I’m a fan of the television show Once Upon a Time. It’s cleverly put together and well-acted. But what I find most compelling is the way it parallels the biblical narrative.
In the show, each character in the present-day town of “Storybrooke” is a fairy-tale character from the enchanted forest—frozen in time with no memory of who they truly are. They’re in bondage, under the curse of an evil power—the Evil Queen (Storybrooke’s mayor)—and they don’t even know it.
The townspeople’s present-day predicament is strikingly similar to the current state of our world without Christ. The apostle John wrote: “the world around us is under the control of the evil one” (1 John 1:19).
Just like those without Jesus, the people of Storybrooke assume that the world they’re aware of is the only real world. The Evil Queen’s curse blinds them to the truth of what’s really going on. But just like the biblical story, there’s also a promise of deliverance. A prophecy claims that Emma, the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming, will one day come to Storybrooke, break the curse, and begin the final battle with the Evil Queen. This prophecy is found in a special book that also exists in their present-day reality. It’s not just any book; it’s a magnificent book of fairy tales that reveals the Queen’s evil plan, the townspeople’s true identities, and the hope for their rescue.
Today we also have access to such a book—the Bible. But it’s no fairy tale. It is the Book—a collection of books that tell us the true story of our lives and introduces us to the Son of God who came and gave us understanding so that we can know the true God (v.20).
With Him we will live “happily ever after.”
Read 2 Corinthians 2:4 again to see who has blinded unbelievers—not allowing them to see themselves in God’s reality—and kept them from knowing Jesus and His Word.
What other modern-day stories borrow from the biblical story? How does your future hope in Jesus encourage you today?
- The Gentle Way - What does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?...read more
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more