Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
A Magnificent Book
We know that we are children of God and that the world around us is under the control of the evil one (1 John 5:19).
I’m a fan of the television show Once Upon a Time. It’s cleverly put together and well-acted. But what I find most compelling is the way it parallels the biblical narrative.
In the show, each character in the present-day town of “Storybrooke” is a fairy-tale character from the enchanted forest—frozen in time with no memory of who they truly are. They’re in bondage, under the curse of an evil power—the Evil Queen (Storybrooke’s mayor)—and they don’t even know it.
The townspeople’s present-day predicament is strikingly similar to the current state of our world without Christ. The apostle John wrote: “the world around us is under the control of the evil one” (1 John 1:19).
Just like those without Jesus, the people of Storybrooke assume that the world they’re aware of is the only real world. The Evil Queen’s curse blinds them to the truth of what’s really going on. But just like the biblical story, there’s also a promise of deliverance. A prophecy claims that Emma, the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming, will one day come to Storybrooke, break the curse, and begin the final battle with the Evil Queen. This prophecy is found in a special book that also exists in their present-day reality. It’s not just any book; it’s a magnificent book of fairy tales that reveals the Queen’s evil plan, the townspeople’s true identities, and the hope for their rescue.
Today we also have access to such a book—the Bible. But it’s no fairy tale. It is the Book—a collection of books that tell us the true story of our lives and introduces us to the Son of God who came and gave us understanding so that we can know the true God (v.20).
With Him we will live “happily ever after.”
Read 2 Corinthians 2:4 again to see who has blinded unbelievers—not allowing them to see themselves in God’s reality—and kept them from knowing Jesus and His Word.
What other modern-day stories borrow from the biblical story? How does your future hope in Jesus encourage you today?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more