New BeginningsHow has God equipped you to follow Him?
Top Christian Music Videos
A Magnificent Book
We know that we are children of God and that the world around us is under the control of the evil one (1 John 5:19).
I’m a fan of the television show Once Upon a Time. It’s cleverly put together and well-acted. But what I find most compelling is the way it parallels the biblical narrative.
In the show, each character in the present-day town of “Storybrooke” is a fairy-tale character from the enchanted forest—frozen in time with no memory of who they truly are. They’re in bondage, under the curse of an evil power—the Evil Queen (Storybrooke’s mayor)—and they don’t even know it.
The townspeople’s present-day predicament is strikingly similar to the current state of our world without Christ. The apostle John wrote: “the world around us is under the control of the evil one” (1 John 1:19).
Just like those without Jesus, the people of Storybrooke assume that the world they’re aware of is the only real world. The Evil Queen’s curse blinds them to the truth of what’s really going on. But just like the biblical story, there’s also a promise of deliverance. A prophecy claims that Emma, the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming, will one day come to Storybrooke, break the curse, and begin the final battle with the Evil Queen. This prophecy is found in a special book that also exists in their present-day reality. It’s not just any book; it’s a magnificent book of fairy tales that reveals the Queen’s evil plan, the townspeople’s true identities, and the hope for their rescue.
Today we also have access to such a book—the Bible. But it’s no fairy tale. It is the Book—a collection of books that tell us the true story of our lives and introduces us to the Son of God who came and gave us understanding so that we can know the true God (v.20).
With Him we will live “happily ever after.”
Read 2 Corinthians 2:4 again to see who has blinded unbelievers—not allowing them to see themselves in God’s reality—and kept them from knowing Jesus and His Word.
What other modern-day stories borrow from the biblical story? How does your future hope in Jesus encourage you today?
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more