Top Christian Music Videos
A Magnificent Book
We know that we are children of God and that the world around us is under the control of the evil one (1 John 5:19).
I’m a fan of the television show Once Upon a Time. It’s cleverly put together and well-acted. But what I find most compelling is the way it parallels the biblical narrative.
In the show, each character in the present-day town of “Storybrooke” is a fairy-tale character from the enchanted forest—frozen in time with no memory of who they truly are. They’re in bondage, under the curse of an evil power—the Evil Queen (Storybrooke’s mayor)—and they don’t even know it.
The townspeople’s present-day predicament is strikingly similar to the current state of our world without Christ. The apostle John wrote: “the world around us is under the control of the evil one” (1 John 1:19).
Just like those without Jesus, the people of Storybrooke assume that the world they’re aware of is the only real world. The Evil Queen’s curse blinds them to the truth of what’s really going on. But just like the biblical story, there’s also a promise of deliverance. A prophecy claims that Emma, the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming, will one day come to Storybrooke, break the curse, and begin the final battle with the Evil Queen. This prophecy is found in a special book that also exists in their present-day reality. It’s not just any book; it’s a magnificent book of fairy tales that reveals the Queen’s evil plan, the townspeople’s true identities, and the hope for their rescue.
Today we also have access to such a book—the Bible. But it’s no fairy tale. It is the Book—a collection of books that tell us the true story of our lives and introduces us to the Son of God who came and gave us understanding so that we can know the true God (v.20).
With Him we will live “happily ever after.”
Read 2 Corinthians 2:4 again to see who has blinded unbelievers—not allowing them to see themselves in God’s reality—and kept them from knowing Jesus and His Word.
What other modern-day stories borrow from the biblical story? How does your future hope in Jesus encourage you today?
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more
- A Better Song - Read Romans 8:14 to see what it means to be led by “the Spirit of God.”...read more