Awaken Your Hope Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples.
Top Christian Music Videos
Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in power (v.6).
I drive a diesel truck in Uganda, so when my sister’s boyfriend loaned me his diesel pick-up while I was in the United States recently, I thought I could manage it just fine. The very first time I put fuel in it, however, I made a big mistake: I topped off the tank with high-grade gasoline instead of diesel.
A string of unpleasant and expensive consequences resulted. First, I drove only 10 meters away from the gas station before the truck conked out. Then, an emergency road service had to haul the vehicle to a mechanic. To run again, the truck had to undergo an extensive detox that entailed siphoning the fuel and flushing the gas tank, hoses, filters, and injectors.
It was a costly mishap, but one that caused me to be more careful in selecting the type of fuel I put in vehicles. The incident also prompted me to consider the sources of strength (or weakness) that I allow to enter my heart.
In the Old Testament, God at times directed the use of unusual alternative energy sources that included “the wood of the Asherah pole” (Judges 6:26), “dried human dung” (Ezekiel 4:12), and even the plunders of war such as “small and large shields, bows and arrows, javelins and spears” (39:9). A person’s emotional strength, however, came from things that brought comfort such as the birth of a child (Genesis 21:6-7), a visit from a beloved son (48:2), or encouragement from a friend (Deuteronomy 3:28). Spiritual power, however, was derived from God alone—lest people took pride in their own “strength and energy” (8:17) and forgot that only the Sovereign Lord can perform “great and mighty deeds” (3:24).
Today, consider from where you derive your “fuel” and remember what Isaiah 40:31 says, “Those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.”
Reread Exodus 15:1, a “Song of Deliverance.” How has the Lord’s strength provided deliverance for you recently?
When has drawing from a wrong power source left you feeling depleted? How can you change your “fuel” intake so that your life truly honors and glorifies God?
- Awaken Your Hope - Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples....read more
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more