Subscribe to God’s HelpWhat temptations are you battling?
Top Music Videos
I prayed to the Lord, and He answered me. He freed me from all my fears (v.4).
Imagine sashaying through life with no fear. One
woman knows what it feels like to be fear-free.
Researchers exposed her to snakes and spiders, led
her through a haunted house, and showed her scary
flicks. No fear. Real death threats and being robbed at
gunpoint left her (happily) whistling in the dark. Why?
The woman has a genetic condition affecting the portion
of her brain connected with fear reaction. She literally
can’t be frightened.
David, much like us from time to time, was once
super-scared. He’d been sprinting from King Saul—who
wanted to kill him—and ended up traipsing into the lair
of the king of Gath (the hometown of Goliath—whom
David had earlier killed!) (1 Samuel 17:48-50). Talk
about out of the frying pan and into the fire! David was
so petrified (v.12) of the king of Gath that he decided
to act like a madman (v.13). His performance (including
the effective frothing at the mouth shtick) must have been
Oscar-winning-worthy, for the king believed he was truly
loony and allowed him to take flight instead of face a
Around this time of great fear and feigning being
crazy, David penned Psalm 34. We find that he dealt
with his fear by praying to God (v.4). He trusted in
God’s protection (vv.6-7). He rested in His goodness and
care (v.8). And, David reported, “[God] freed me from
all my fears” (v.4). Except one . . .
You see, David was not fearless, for he feared God (vv.7,9,11). In other words,
his reverent fear of God eclipsed his fear of man. What a great example for us
to follow when we start to fear the stuff of this world. Let’s choose to seek God
in prayer and reverently fear Him alone!
What have you feared lately? In light of David’s example, what will you
do to steer free of fear?
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more