VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
I prayed to the Lord, and He answered me. He freed me from all my fears (v.4).
Imagine sashaying through life with no fear. One
woman knows what it feels like to be fear-free.
Researchers exposed her to snakes and spiders, led
her through a haunted house, and showed her scary
flicks. No fear. Real death threats and being robbed at
gunpoint left her (happily) whistling in the dark. Why?
The woman has a genetic condition affecting the portion
of her brain connected with fear reaction. She literally
can’t be frightened.
David, much like us from time to time, was once
super-scared. He’d been sprinting from King Saul—who
wanted to kill him—and ended up traipsing into the lair
of the king of Gath (the hometown of Goliath—whom
David had earlier killed!) (1 Samuel 17:48-50). Talk
about out of the frying pan and into the fire! David was
so petrified (v.12) of the king of Gath that he decided
to act like a madman (v.13). His performance (including
the effective frothing at the mouth shtick) must have been
Oscar-winning-worthy, for the king believed he was truly
loony and allowed him to take flight instead of face a
Around this time of great fear and feigning being
crazy, David penned Psalm 34. We find that he dealt
with his fear by praying to God (v.4). He trusted in
God’s protection (vv.6-7). He rested in His goodness and
care (v.8). And, David reported, “[God] freed me from
all my fears” (v.4). Except one . . .
You see, David was not fearless, for he feared God (vv.7,9,11). In other words,
his reverent fear of God eclipsed his fear of man. What a great example for us
to follow when we start to fear the stuff of this world. Let’s choose to seek God
in prayer and reverently fear Him alone!
What have you feared lately? In light of David’s example, what will you
do to steer free of fear?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more