Red HousesWhat has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?
Top Music Videos
I prayed to the Lord, and He answered me. He freed me from all my fears (v.4).
Imagine sashaying through life with no fear. One
woman knows what it feels like to be fear-free.
Researchers exposed her to snakes and spiders, led
her through a haunted house, and showed her scary
flicks. No fear. Real death threats and being robbed at
gunpoint left her (happily) whistling in the dark. Why?
The woman has a genetic condition affecting the portion
of her brain connected with fear reaction. She literally
can’t be frightened.
David, much like us from time to time, was once
super-scared. He’d been sprinting from King Saul—who
wanted to kill him—and ended up traipsing into the lair
of the king of Gath (the hometown of Goliath—whom
David had earlier killed!) (1 Samuel 17:48-50). Talk
about out of the frying pan and into the fire! David was
so petrified (v.12) of the king of Gath that he decided
to act like a madman (v.13). His performance (including
the effective frothing at the mouth shtick) must have been
Oscar-winning-worthy, for the king believed he was truly
loony and allowed him to take flight instead of face a
Around this time of great fear and feigning being
crazy, David penned Psalm 34. We find that he dealt
with his fear by praying to God (v.4). He trusted in
God’s protection (vv.6-7). He rested in His goodness and
care (v.8). And, David reported, “[God] freed me from
all my fears” (v.4). Except one . . .
You see, David was not fearless, for he feared God (vv.7,9,11). In other words,
his reverent fear of God eclipsed his fear of man. What a great example for us
to follow when we start to fear the stuff of this world. Let’s choose to seek God
in prayer and reverently fear Him alone!
What have you feared lately? In light of David’s example, what will you
do to steer free of fear?
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more