What's ImportantHow has God been training you lately?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Samuel 1:1
But now your kingdom must end, for the Lord has sought out a man after
His own heart. The Lord has already appointed him . . . because you
have not kept the Lord’s command (v.14).
Argh . . . I’m no longer perfect.” I groaned inwardly.
The realization struck me when we replaced our
home television with a 42-inch set. The color
was good, the sound perfect, but what happened to the
subtitles? Why were they so blurry? I had lost my 20-20
vision! My doctor informed me that my left-eye vision is
slightly off by a few degrees.
It dawned on me that when something is off the mark
by a teeny-weeny bit, we usually let it slide. For it’s more
convenient to simply leave it alone than to deal with it.
This attitude, however, can be fatal when carried over to
the way we deal with sin. Saul is a perfect example.
If we’re truly honest with ourselves, we’ll admit that
Saul’s actions didn’t seem to be all that bad (1 Samuel
10:8, 13:9). On the surface, it appeared that Samuel
was late, and that the survival of Saul and the nation
was doubtful unless someone acted quickly (v.8). Saul
certainly seemed to be the man to do it.
Why was it so wrong for him to sacrifice a burnt
offering? (vv.10-11). Saul had assumed a role that wasn’t
his. He offered the sacrifice in direct disobedience to God
(v.13). Instead of waiting on God’s timing, he essentially
infringed on the function of a priest (Leviticus 6:8-13).
This situation reveals a flaw in Saul’s perspective.
His sight was not fully set on obeying God. Did he do
anything about it? No. In 1 Samuel 15, we read of
another battle and another act of disobedience. Once again, he used piety as a
cover-up (v.20). But Samuel, God’s spokesman, said, “Since you have rejected
the Lord’s command, He has rejected you” (v.26).
There’s no so such thing as being slightly imperfect in following God’s
commands. Let’s pursue His holiness today.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 119:9 to see how to develop perfect vision for pleasing God.
What areas in your life need to be aligned to God’s perfect standard? How can you maintain a
clear vision of Him?
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more