Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Samuel 1:1
But now your kingdom must end, for the Lord has sought out a man after
His own heart. The Lord has already appointed him . . . because you
have not kept the Lord’s command (v.14).
Argh . . . I’m no longer perfect.” I groaned inwardly.
The realization struck me when we replaced our
home television with a 42-inch set. The color
was good, the sound perfect, but what happened to the
subtitles? Why were they so blurry? I had lost my 20-20
vision! My doctor informed me that my left-eye vision is
slightly off by a few degrees.
It dawned on me that when something is off the mark
by a teeny-weeny bit, we usually let it slide. For it’s more
convenient to simply leave it alone than to deal with it.
This attitude, however, can be fatal when carried over to
the way we deal with sin. Saul is a perfect example.
If we’re truly honest with ourselves, we’ll admit that
Saul’s actions didn’t seem to be all that bad (1 Samuel
10:8, 13:9). On the surface, it appeared that Samuel
was late, and that the survival of Saul and the nation
was doubtful unless someone acted quickly (v.8). Saul
certainly seemed to be the man to do it.
Why was it so wrong for him to sacrifice a burnt
offering? (vv.10-11). Saul had assumed a role that wasn’t
his. He offered the sacrifice in direct disobedience to God
(v.13). Instead of waiting on God’s timing, he essentially
infringed on the function of a priest (Leviticus 6:8-13).
This situation reveals a flaw in Saul’s perspective.
His sight was not fully set on obeying God. Did he do
anything about it? No. In 1 Samuel 15, we read of
another battle and another act of disobedience. Once again, he used piety as a
cover-up (v.20). But Samuel, God’s spokesman, said, “Since you have rejected
the Lord’s command, He has rejected you” (v.26).
There’s no so such thing as being slightly imperfect in following God’s
commands. Let’s pursue His holiness today.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 119:9 to see how to develop perfect vision for pleasing God.
What areas in your life need to be aligned to God’s perfect standard? How can you maintain a
clear vision of Him?
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more