Stinging WordsHow have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?
Top Music Videos
1 Samuel 1:1
But now your kingdom must end, for the Lord has sought out a man after
His own heart. The Lord has already appointed him . . . because you
have not kept the Lord’s command (v.14).
Argh . . . I’m no longer perfect.” I groaned inwardly.
The realization struck me when we replaced our
home television with a 42-inch set. The color
was good, the sound perfect, but what happened to the
subtitles? Why were they so blurry? I had lost my 20-20
vision! My doctor informed me that my left-eye vision is
slightly off by a few degrees.
It dawned on me that when something is off the mark
by a teeny-weeny bit, we usually let it slide. For it’s more
convenient to simply leave it alone than to deal with it.
This attitude, however, can be fatal when carried over to
the way we deal with sin. Saul is a perfect example.
If we’re truly honest with ourselves, we’ll admit that
Saul’s actions didn’t seem to be all that bad (1 Samuel
10:8, 13:9). On the surface, it appeared that Samuel
was late, and that the survival of Saul and the nation
was doubtful unless someone acted quickly (v.8). Saul
certainly seemed to be the man to do it.
Why was it so wrong for him to sacrifice a burnt
offering? (vv.10-11). Saul had assumed a role that wasn’t
his. He offered the sacrifice in direct disobedience to God
(v.13). Instead of waiting on God’s timing, he essentially
infringed on the function of a priest (Leviticus 6:8-13).
This situation reveals a flaw in Saul’s perspective.
His sight was not fully set on obeying God. Did he do
anything about it? No. In 1 Samuel 15, we read of
another battle and another act of disobedience. Once again, he used piety as a
cover-up (v.20). But Samuel, God’s spokesman, said, “Since you have rejected
the Lord’s command, He has rejected you” (v.26).
There’s no so such thing as being slightly imperfect in following God’s
commands. Let’s pursue His holiness today.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 119:9 to see how to develop perfect vision for pleasing God.
What areas in your life need to be aligned to God’s perfect standard? How can you maintain a
clear vision of Him?
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more