Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Timothy 2:8
[Women] should wear decent and appropriate clothing (v.9).
The southern Italian town of Castellammare has
created its own version of the “fashion police.” The
police force there is authorized to fine women who
wear risqué clothing such as micro skirts, skimpy jeans,
and low-cut shirts. One town official claimed that the
ban made Castellammare a “civilized city.”
While I’m not sure these laws elevate the city to higher
moral ground, I do like the goal of the standards, which
was to improve public order. Paul had a similar aim
in mind when he penned some guidelines on modesty
within the church walls.
In every place of worship, Paul called women to
be modest in their appearance. Specifically, he said,
“[Women] should wear decent and appropriate
clothing” (1 Timothy 2:9). Ladies, I don’t believe this
means we should limit our wardrobes to the fashion
equivalent of garbage bags. However, we also can’t rely
on worldly standards to determine what’s decent and
appropriate. Thumb through a current fashion magazine,
and you’ll see what I mean!
As Christians, we’re to “carefully protect those parts [of
the body] that should not be seen” (1 Corinthians 12:23).
We can’t afford to believe the lie that being attractive
means attracting attention to our bodies. Rather, “Women
who claim to be devoted to God should make themselves
attractive by the good deeds they do” (1 Timothy 2:10).
Spiritually speaking, the issue of modesty calls us to answer this question: Are
we more concerned with drawing attention to ourselves or to God? The answer
seems like a no-brainer, especially if we’re talking about a church setting.
Bringing glory to God should always be a priority in the life of a believer. It’s
possible to honor Him even with the clothes we wear, as well as by leaving
some outfits hanging on the store rack.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Proverbs 31:25 to see how being clothed with “strength and
dignity” fits with the character of a noble woman.
Why is it so important for both men and women to dress modestly? How
might you promote modesty within your sphere of influence?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more