Timeless GrooveWhat lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?
Top Christian Music Videos
We know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God Himself (v.1).
I had the heart-wrenching, joyous, bittersweet experience of losing my dad on January 6, 2012—his birthday. Our loss was truly his gain! He had been battling rapidly deteriorating health before God graciously took him home.
A mysterious thing happened at the time of his death. While Dad was still breathing, my mother—who had been holding his hand and tenderly kissing him—turned and said, “He’s gone, he’s gone . . . I know it. I can go back home now.” She then slowly stepped from the care facility room and began walking down the hall. My sister, who had continued to watch Dad, suddenly noticed his chest rise and fall for the last time.
How did Mom know Dad was “gone” even as his body continued to function? Two things come to mind: We’re spiritual beings; and she had been his bride for many years. She knew his presence.
In 2 Corinthians 2:1, the apostle Paul wrote about something we experienced that night. He said that each of our bodies is an “earthly tent” (v.1) and that when we leave this life “we will be at home with our Lord” (v.8). Paul, who recognized the frailty of his own “tent” as he battled hardships in Ephesus (1:8-11), looked with confident hope to a glorious future with his resurrected Savior—being with Jesus (1 Corinthians 15:51; Philippians 3:20).
Why did Paul have such hope? He wrote, “We know that God who raised the Lord Jesus, will also raise us with Jesus and present us . . . to Himself” (2 Corinthians 2:14). He knew that, in time, we who believe in Jesus will have “an eternal body made for us by God Himself” (5:1).
Somehow my mom knew that Dad had departed. But she also confidently knew where he had gone.
Read 1 Corinthians 15:1 to see why believers in Jesus can have great hope even in death.
Do you have confidence that one day you’ll be “at home with” Jesus? Why or why not? How does my mother’s experience and Paul’s words give you hope?
- Timeless Groove - What lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?...read more
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more