The Ultimate SourceGod’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways.
Top Christian Music Videos
We know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God Himself (v.1).
I had the heart-wrenching, joyous, bittersweet experience of losing my dad on January 6, 2012—his birthday. Our loss was truly his gain! He had been battling rapidly deteriorating health before God graciously took him home.
A mysterious thing happened at the time of his death. While Dad was still breathing, my mother—who had been holding his hand and tenderly kissing him—turned and said, “He’s gone, he’s gone . . . I know it. I can go back home now.” She then slowly stepped from the care facility room and began walking down the hall. My sister, who had continued to watch Dad, suddenly noticed his chest rise and fall for the last time.
How did Mom know Dad was “gone” even as his body continued to function? Two things come to mind: We’re spiritual beings; and she had been his bride for many years. She knew his presence.
In 2 Corinthians 2:1, the apostle Paul wrote about something we experienced that night. He said that each of our bodies is an “earthly tent” (v.1) and that when we leave this life “we will be at home with our Lord” (v.8). Paul, who recognized the frailty of his own “tent” as he battled hardships in Ephesus (1:8-11), looked with confident hope to a glorious future with his resurrected Savior—being with Jesus (1 Corinthians 15:51; Philippians 3:20).
Why did Paul have such hope? He wrote, “We know that God who raised the Lord Jesus, will also raise us with Jesus and present us . . . to Himself” (2 Corinthians 2:14). He knew that, in time, we who believe in Jesus will have “an eternal body made for us by God Himself” (5:1).
Somehow my mom knew that Dad had departed. But she also confidently knew where he had gone.
Read 1 Corinthians 15:1 to see why believers in Jesus can have great hope even in death.
Do you have confidence that one day you’ll be “at home with” Jesus? Why or why not? How does my mother’s experience and Paul’s words give you hope?
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more