Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
We know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God Himself (v.1).
I had the heart-wrenching, joyous, bittersweet experience of losing my dad on January 6, 2012—his birthday. Our loss was truly his gain! He had been battling rapidly deteriorating health before God graciously took him home.
A mysterious thing happened at the time of his death. While Dad was still breathing, my mother—who had been holding his hand and tenderly kissing him—turned and said, “He’s gone, he’s gone . . . I know it. I can go back home now.” She then slowly stepped from the care facility room and began walking down the hall. My sister, who had continued to watch Dad, suddenly noticed his chest rise and fall for the last time.
How did Mom know Dad was “gone” even as his body continued to function? Two things come to mind: We’re spiritual beings; and she had been his bride for many years. She knew his presence.
In 2 Corinthians 2:1, the apostle Paul wrote about something we experienced that night. He said that each of our bodies is an “earthly tent” (v.1) and that when we leave this life “we will be at home with our Lord” (v.8). Paul, who recognized the frailty of his own “tent” as he battled hardships in Ephesus (1:8-11), looked with confident hope to a glorious future with his resurrected Savior—being with Jesus (1 Corinthians 15:51; Philippians 3:20).
Why did Paul have such hope? He wrote, “We know that God who raised the Lord Jesus, will also raise us with Jesus and present us . . . to Himself” (2 Corinthians 2:14). He knew that, in time, we who believe in Jesus will have “an eternal body made for us by God Himself” (5:1).
Somehow my mom knew that Dad had departed. But she also confidently knew where he had gone.
Read 1 Corinthians 15:1 to see why believers in Jesus can have great hope even in death.
Do you have confidence that one day you’ll be “at home with” Jesus? Why or why not? How does my mother’s experience and Paul’s words give you hope?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more