Tongues AfireWhen have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?
Top Music Videos
The Strong Lion
The Lord of heaven’s armies will hover over Jerusalem and protect it (v.5).
Ethiopia suffers an alarmingly high rate of marriages by abduction (some estimates say 70 percent of marriages happen this way). Earlier this year, seven men abducted a 12-year-old girl, beating her and intending to force her to marry one of them. She somehow escaped, and when the men tracked her down they discovered serious trouble. Several lions had gathered round the girl, chasing off her abusers and protecting her for half a day. The police said, “[The lions] stood guard until we found her and then just left her like a gift and went back into the forest.”
God describes Himself as a lion, bold and tenacious, watching over His people. Courageous lions are “not frightened” by “shouts and noise” or by whatever forces are arrayed against them. “In the same way,” God said, “the Lord . . . hover[s] over” His people. God “will defend and save . . . and rescue” (Isaiah 31:4). In contrast to our certain protection under God’s powerful care, Isaiah reminded God’s people how “sorrow awaits those who look to Egypt for help, trusting their horses, chariots, and charioteers.” Sorrow and ruin await any of us who depend “on the strength of human armies instead of looking to the Lord” (v.1).
So long as we cling to the authorities and powers of this world for our well-being, we are destined to experience upheaval and precarious vulnerability. God assures us, however, that He watches over us and protects us. This doesn’t mean that we’ll never encounter harm. But it does mean that the God of the universe holds us under His attentive care and will not allow any force or creature to overwhelm us. God is our strong lion, and we’re under His strong, loving, and careful protection.
Read Isaiah 31:1 a second time. What other image from nature does God use to reveal His care over us? Which image do you most identify with? Why?
Where are you in need of God’s strong protection? Where else (other than to God) are you tempted to look for it?
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more