VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
The Strong Lion
The Lord of heaven’s armies will hover over Jerusalem and protect it (v.5).
Ethiopia suffers an alarmingly high rate of marriages by abduction (some estimates say 70 percent of marriages happen this way). Earlier this year, seven men abducted a 12-year-old girl, beating her and intending to force her to marry one of them. She somehow escaped, and when the men tracked her down they discovered serious trouble. Several lions had gathered round the girl, chasing off her abusers and protecting her for half a day. The police said, “[The lions] stood guard until we found her and then just left her like a gift and went back into the forest.”
God describes Himself as a lion, bold and tenacious, watching over His people. Courageous lions are “not frightened” by “shouts and noise” or by whatever forces are arrayed against them. “In the same way,” God said, “the Lord . . . hover[s] over” His people. God “will defend and save . . . and rescue” (Isaiah 31:4). In contrast to our certain protection under God’s powerful care, Isaiah reminded God’s people how “sorrow awaits those who look to Egypt for help, trusting their horses, chariots, and charioteers.” Sorrow and ruin await any of us who depend “on the strength of human armies instead of looking to the Lord” (v.1).
So long as we cling to the authorities and powers of this world for our well-being, we are destined to experience upheaval and precarious vulnerability. God assures us, however, that He watches over us and protects us. This doesn’t mean that we’ll never encounter harm. But it does mean that the God of the universe holds us under His attentive care and will not allow any force or creature to overwhelm us. God is our strong lion, and we’re under His strong, loving, and careful protection.
Read Isaiah 31:1 a second time. What other image from nature does God use to reveal His care over us? Which image do you most identify with? Why?
Where are you in need of God’s strong protection? Where else (other than to God) are you tempted to look for it?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more