Love in ActionHow can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Strong Lion
The Lord of heaven’s armies will hover over Jerusalem and protect it (v.5).
Ethiopia suffers an alarmingly high rate of marriages by abduction (some estimates say 70 percent of marriages happen this way). Earlier this year, seven men abducted a 12-year-old girl, beating her and intending to force her to marry one of them. She somehow escaped, and when the men tracked her down they discovered serious trouble. Several lions had gathered round the girl, chasing off her abusers and protecting her for half a day. The police said, “[The lions] stood guard until we found her and then just left her like a gift and went back into the forest.”
God describes Himself as a lion, bold and tenacious, watching over His people. Courageous lions are “not frightened” by “shouts and noise” or by whatever forces are arrayed against them. “In the same way,” God said, “the Lord . . . hover[s] over” His people. God “will defend and save . . . and rescue” (Isaiah 31:4). In contrast to our certain protection under God’s powerful care, Isaiah reminded God’s people how “sorrow awaits those who look to Egypt for help, trusting their horses, chariots, and charioteers.” Sorrow and ruin await any of us who depend “on the strength of human armies instead of looking to the Lord” (v.1).
So long as we cling to the authorities and powers of this world for our well-being, we are destined to experience upheaval and precarious vulnerability. God assures us, however, that He watches over us and protects us. This doesn’t mean that we’ll never encounter harm. But it does mean that the God of the universe holds us under His attentive care and will not allow any force or creature to overwhelm us. God is our strong lion, and we’re under His strong, loving, and careful protection.
Read Isaiah 31:1 a second time. What other image from nature does God use to reveal His care over us? Which image do you most identify with? Why?
Where are you in need of God’s strong protection? Where else (other than to God) are you tempted to look for it?
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more