True FellowshipWhat comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?
Top Music Videos
Mark 16:19 When the Lord Jesus had finished talking with them, He was taken up into heaven and sat down in the place of honor at God’s right hand (v.19).
There are three major events in Jesus’ life that most Christian churches commemorate with special services: Christmas, celebrating Jesus’ incarnation and birth; Good Friday, commemorating His crucifixion and death; and Easter Sunday, celebrating His resurrection—His coming back from the dead. Some churches include Pentecost Sunday as the church’s birthday. There is, however, one important event that is forgotten by most Christians: Ascension Day—the day Jesus was taken into heaven. For some reason, our Lord’s return to heaven is not given the prominence in the church that it deserves.
In a search-and-rescue mission, the mission is considered successful when the rescuers return safely to the home base with the person they set out to find. Similarly, there had to be an end to Jesus’ in-person rescue mission.
Jesus “came to seek and save those who are lost” (Luke 19:10). His work of redemption on earth began with His becoming a man (Philippians 2:6; Philippians 2:6). His death by crucifixion provided salvation for all who believe in Him (Romans 3:23; 1 Peter 2:24). God the Father accepted His sacrifice for our sins by raising Jesus from the dead (Romans 4:24; 1 Corinthians 15:14; 1 Peter 1:21). The resurrection confirms the sufficiency and efficacy of His death (Romans 6:4; Hebrews 9:12; 1 Peter 3:21).
Jesus was taken to heaven because His work on earth was completed. “Now Christ has gone to heaven. He is seated in the place of honor next to God, and all the angels and authorities and powers accept His authority” (1 Peter 1:22).
Exalted and glorified, Jesus continues His intercessory work for us as our High Priest (Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:24) and Advocate (Hebrews 9:24; 1 John 1:1). And now He’s preparing heaven for all true believers! (John 14:2). Are you ready?
Jesus’ ascension was His exaltation and His return to His eternal glory (John 17:4). What can you do today that will give the event the prominence it deserves? How should you help others remember this important event?
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more