Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Mark 16:19 When the Lord Jesus had finished talking with them, He was taken up into heaven and sat down in the place of honor at God’s right hand (v.19).
There are three major events in Jesus’ life that most Christian churches commemorate with special services: Christmas, celebrating Jesus’ incarnation and birth; Good Friday, commemorating His crucifixion and death; and Easter Sunday, celebrating His resurrection—His coming back from the dead. Some churches include Pentecost Sunday as the church’s birthday. There is, however, one important event that is forgotten by most Christians: Ascension Day—the day Jesus was taken into heaven. For some reason, our Lord’s return to heaven is not given the prominence in the church that it deserves.
In a search-and-rescue mission, the mission is considered successful when the rescuers return safely to the home base with the person they set out to find. Similarly, there had to be an end to Jesus’ in-person rescue mission.
Jesus “came to seek and save those who are lost” (Luke 19:10). His work of redemption on earth began with His becoming a man (Philippians 2:6; Philippians 2:6). His death by crucifixion provided salvation for all who believe in Him (Romans 3:23; 1 Peter 2:24). God the Father accepted His sacrifice for our sins by raising Jesus from the dead (Romans 4:24; 1 Corinthians 15:14; 1 Peter 1:21). The resurrection confirms the sufficiency and efficacy of His death (Romans 6:4; Hebrews 9:12; 1 Peter 3:21).
Jesus was taken to heaven because His work on earth was completed. “Now Christ has gone to heaven. He is seated in the place of honor next to God, and all the angels and authorities and powers accept His authority” (1 Peter 1:22).
Exalted and glorified, Jesus continues His intercessory work for us as our High Priest (Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:24) and Advocate (Hebrews 9:24; 1 John 1:1). And now He’s preparing heaven for all true believers! (John 14:2). Are you ready?
Jesus’ ascension was His exaltation and His return to His eternal glory (John 17:4). What can you do today that will give the event the prominence it deserves? How should you help others remember this important event?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more