Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
Mark 16:19 When the Lord Jesus had finished talking with them, He was taken up into heaven and sat down in the place of honor at God’s right hand (v.19).
There are three major events in Jesus’ life that most Christian churches commemorate with special services: Christmas, celebrating Jesus’ incarnation and birth; Good Friday, commemorating His crucifixion and death; and Easter Sunday, celebrating His resurrection—His coming back from the dead. Some churches include Pentecost Sunday as the church’s birthday. There is, however, one important event that is forgotten by most Christians: Ascension Day—the day Jesus was taken into heaven. For some reason, our Lord’s return to heaven is not given the prominence in the church that it deserves.
In a search-and-rescue mission, the mission is considered successful when the rescuers return safely to the home base with the person they set out to find. Similarly, there had to be an end to Jesus’ in-person rescue mission.
Jesus “came to seek and save those who are lost” (Luke 19:10). His work of redemption on earth began with His becoming a man (Philippians 2:6; Philippians 2:6). His death by crucifixion provided salvation for all who believe in Him (Romans 3:23; 1 Peter 2:24). God the Father accepted His sacrifice for our sins by raising Jesus from the dead (Romans 4:24; 1 Corinthians 15:14; 1 Peter 1:21). The resurrection confirms the sufficiency and efficacy of His death (Romans 6:4; Hebrews 9:12; 1 Peter 3:21).
Jesus was taken to heaven because His work on earth was completed. “Now Christ has gone to heaven. He is seated in the place of honor next to God, and all the angels and authorities and powers accept His authority” (1 Peter 1:22).
Exalted and glorified, Jesus continues His intercessory work for us as our High Priest (Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:24) and Advocate (Hebrews 9:24; 1 John 1:1). And now He’s preparing heaven for all true believers! (John 14:2). Are you ready?
Jesus’ ascension was His exaltation and His return to His eternal glory (John 17:4). What can you do today that will give the event the prominence it deserves? How should you help others remember this important event?
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more