What's ImportantHow has God been training you lately?
Top Christian Music Videos
Mark 16:19 When the Lord Jesus had finished talking with them, He was taken up into heaven and sat down in the place of honor at God’s right hand (v.19).
There are three major events in Jesus’ life that most Christian churches commemorate with special services: Christmas, celebrating Jesus’ incarnation and birth; Good Friday, commemorating His crucifixion and death; and Easter Sunday, celebrating His resurrection—His coming back from the dead. Some churches include Pentecost Sunday as the church’s birthday. There is, however, one important event that is forgotten by most Christians: Ascension Day—the day Jesus was taken into heaven. For some reason, our Lord’s return to heaven is not given the prominence in the church that it deserves.
In a search-and-rescue mission, the mission is considered successful when the rescuers return safely to the home base with the person they set out to find. Similarly, there had to be an end to Jesus’ in-person rescue mission.
Jesus “came to seek and save those who are lost” (Luke 19:10). His work of redemption on earth began with His becoming a man (Philippians 2:6; Philippians 2:6). His death by crucifixion provided salvation for all who believe in Him (Romans 3:23; 1 Peter 2:24). God the Father accepted His sacrifice for our sins by raising Jesus from the dead (Romans 4:24; 1 Corinthians 15:14; 1 Peter 1:21). The resurrection confirms the sufficiency and efficacy of His death (Romans 6:4; Hebrews 9:12; 1 Peter 3:21).
Jesus was taken to heaven because His work on earth was completed. “Now Christ has gone to heaven. He is seated in the place of honor next to God, and all the angels and authorities and powers accept His authority” (1 Peter 1:22).
Exalted and glorified, Jesus continues His intercessory work for us as our High Priest (Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:24) and Advocate (Hebrews 9:24; 1 John 1:1). And now He’s preparing heaven for all true believers! (John 14:2). Are you ready?
Jesus’ ascension was His exaltation and His return to His eternal glory (John 17:4). What can you do today that will give the event the prominence it deserves? How should you help others remember this important event?
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more