UnbreakableHow can you use your suffering to point others to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
He was testing Philip, for He already knew what He was going to do (v.6).
Our kids often come home excited to tell us the
interesting things they’ve learned in school. So
when our 9-year-old asked me if I knew how to
balance a book at least an inch high off the counter on
just a sheet of paper, I knew there had to be a logical
explanation though I couldn’t envision it. Taking out a
sheet of notebook paper, he folded it lengthwise several
times, and then, after coiling it, he rested the book on
the folded paper. As I watched, I thought about how far
my ideas had been from the actual solution.
Reading Scripture, I can see I’m not the only one who
deals with limited sight (2 Corinthians 2:7). In an account
of miraculous provision, Philip’s solution was limited to
what he could conceive in his human understanding
(John 6:7). Misunderstanding the purpose of Jesus’
question, Philip didn’t realize that Jesus didn’t need
Philip’s input because He was short on ideas. He wanted
to know the source of Philip’s hope. Like heat applied to
gold, Jesus’ question served to rid Philip of the dross of
self and bring him to a place of dependence on God.
Jesus didn’t expect Philip to meet the need; He expected
him to trust. God was and is more than enough.
When life brings us to those places where the solution
eludes our grasp, we can look around frantically and in
panic cry out to God regarding His injustice in forcing
such a thing on us. Or we have the option to lift our
hands in surrender, stake a claim on what we know God
has done in the past, and rest in the unchanging nature
of His character and love (Psalms 9:10). He can “accomplish infinitely more than”
we can see (Ephesians 3:20).
When a crisis hits, what’s your first reaction? How can you train your mind to see
things in the light of God’s Word rather than through your human eyes?
(2 Corinthians 10:3).
- Unbreakable - How can you use your suffering to point others to God?...read more
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more