Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
He was testing Philip, for He already knew what He was going to do (v.6).
Our kids often come home excited to tell us the
interesting things they’ve learned in school. So
when our 9-year-old asked me if I knew how to
balance a book at least an inch high off the counter on
just a sheet of paper, I knew there had to be a logical
explanation though I couldn’t envision it. Taking out a
sheet of notebook paper, he folded it lengthwise several
times, and then, after coiling it, he rested the book on
the folded paper. As I watched, I thought about how far
my ideas had been from the actual solution.
Reading Scripture, I can see I’m not the only one who
deals with limited sight (2 Corinthians 2:7). In an account
of miraculous provision, Philip’s solution was limited to
what he could conceive in his human understanding
(John 6:7). Misunderstanding the purpose of Jesus’
question, Philip didn’t realize that Jesus didn’t need
Philip’s input because He was short on ideas. He wanted
to know the source of Philip’s hope. Like heat applied to
gold, Jesus’ question served to rid Philip of the dross of
self and bring him to a place of dependence on God.
Jesus didn’t expect Philip to meet the need; He expected
him to trust. God was and is more than enough.
When life brings us to those places where the solution
eludes our grasp, we can look around frantically and in
panic cry out to God regarding His injustice in forcing
such a thing on us. Or we have the option to lift our
hands in surrender, stake a claim on what we know God
has done in the past, and rest in the unchanging nature
of His character and love (Psalms 9:10). He can “accomplish infinitely more than”
we can see (Ephesians 3:20).
When a crisis hits, what’s your first reaction? How can you train your mind to see
things in the light of God’s Word rather than through your human eyes?
(2 Corinthians 10:3).
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more