What We ValueHow often do you read the Bible?
Top Music Videos
Clear of Corruption
Put me on trial, Lord, and cross-examine me. Test my motives and my heart (v.2).
An advisor I recently consulted was highly recommended by a large, established Christian organization. At first, I had a positive experience with him as he helped me navigate the complicated immigration laws in Uganda. The second time around, however, the man literally took my money and ran. When I called the organization that had referred him, a representative said, “He started out good but went astray. Stay away from him. He’s dangerous.”
I ultimately learned that the man I hired had gotten involved in paying and receiving bribes to boost his business. His turn to corruption demonstrated the truth of Exodus 23:8, “Take no bribes, for a bribe makes you ignore something that you clearly see. A bribe makes even a righteous person twist the truth.”
Bribery negatively affects people regardless of their occupation. When a person attempts to gain through dishonest means, his or her actions lead down a treacherous path. In fact, people who seek to steal from us, believing that bribery is the only way to achieve a desired outcome, are embracing sin. There’s no way to gloss over it. The psalmist writes, “Their hands are dirty with evil schemes, and they constantly take bribes. But I am not like that; I live with integrity. So redeem me and show me mercy” (Psalm 26:10-11).
If people suggest that we deal dishonestly or engage in bribery, it’s important that we reject their requests immediately and cling to verses like Psalm 25:5, “Lead me by Your truth and teach me, for You are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in You.”
Call to God, saying, “Send out Your light and Your truth; let them guide me. Let them lead me . . . to the place where You live” (43:3).
What does Job 15:34 convey to you about the fate of those who engage in bribery?
How have you been tempted to act without integrity recently? Why does God desire our human dealings to be pure—exhibiting honesty and integrity?
- What We Value - How often do you read the Bible?...read more
- The Job Paradox - When have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?...read more
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more