Myth No MoreWhy must God judge His enemies and make things right?
Top Music Videos
When you had eaten and were satisfied, you became proud and forgot Me (v.6).
It’s often more difficult to stay on top than it is to get there. This is true in sports: A young boxer trains hard as he fights his way through the ranks, but once he wins a championship he becomes lazy and loses his title to a new, hungrier challenger.
This is also true in business. A rising star puts in long hours as she climbs the corporate ladder, but she loses her edge when she begins to enjoy the wealth and privileges that come with her success.
This is also true in our walk with God. Have you ever been spiritually dry? Your heart yearned for God in what seemed like a barren wilderness. You fought the malaise until finally you broke through. God mercifully illumined His Word as verses leapt off the page and into your heart. You shouted His praise and poured out your love and adoration. You thought you had tasted heaven.
If this has happened to you, you know that the days that follow a spiritual high are extremely dangerous. First, we may become tempted to chase ever-escalating emotions. But feelings are fickle, and it’s impossible to create a high, let alone to stay there.
Second, we may become content and overconfident in our spiritual life. We recklessly click on websites, watch movies, and share gossip that we normally wouldn’t. We feel so close to Jesus that we presume these actions must be okay, simply because we’re doing them. And so we fall—sometimes hard— and the cycle starts all over again.
How can you stay hungry when you are spiritually full? Remember where your food comes from. God told Israel, “I took care of you in the wilderness, in that dry and thirsty land” (Hosea 13:5). When you’re full of gratitude, there’s no room for pride (v.6).
Read Philippians 3:12 to discover how we can stay hungry in our walk with Christ.
Do you feel spiritually full or hungry? Which is better? What can you do to thrive in both situations?
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more