Everyone Has a StoryWho needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today.
Top Music Videos
One Meal, One Body
As they were eating, Jesus took some bread and blessed it. Then He
broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, “Take it, for this
is My body” (v.22).
Have you ever wondered why Jesus taught His
followers to eat His “body” and drink His
“blood” during the Lord’s Supper? The Jews
misunderstood the idea (John 6:52), and the early
Christians were even accused of “cannibalism.” Couldn’t
Jesus have described this special meal with less
controversy? Not really.
Jesus’ original meal with His disciples took place
on the evening prior to the celebration of the Feast of
Unleavened Bread (Mark 14:12). This Passover meal
involved eating bread without yeast and sacrificing a
lamb in memory of the time God liberated the Israelites
from Egyptian slavery (Exodus 12:1). The yeast-free bread—
used by the Israelites during their escape—is also a
symbol of sinlessness according to some commentators,
and the blood of the lamb was a symbol of salvation
(12:12-13). As Jesus offered His disciples bread and called
it His “body” (Mark 14:22), He was describing Himself as
the sinless One who would save them from judgment.
Then after drinking the wine, Jesus said, “This is My
blood which confirms the covenant between God and
His people” (Mark 14:23). Prior to releasing the
Israelites from Egypt, God had commanded each family
to sacrifice a lamb (Exodus 12:3). The blood from the
lamb, placed on their doorposts, was a “sign” to God
that He should pass over the house—sparing them from
His judgment. Then they ate the meat after it was roasted over a fire (vv.8-9).
A sacrifice brought God and humanity together. A shared meal brought
people together. In the most extraordinary act in history, Jesus became both
Passover sacrifice and fellowship meal.
By observing the Lord’s Supper today, we participate in God’s redeemed
How seriously do you engage with the Lord’s Supper? Are you ever
prone to ignore its social significance?
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more
- Driving for Peace - Who have you been engaged in conflict with recently?...read more