Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
One Meal, One Body
As they were eating, Jesus took some bread and blessed it. Then He
broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, “Take it, for this
is My body” (v.22).
Have you ever wondered why Jesus taught His
followers to eat His “body” and drink His
“blood” during the Lord’s Supper? The Jews
misunderstood the idea (John 6:52), and the early
Christians were even accused of “cannibalism.” Couldn’t
Jesus have described this special meal with less
controversy? Not really.
Jesus’ original meal with His disciples took place
on the evening prior to the celebration of the Feast of
Unleavened Bread (Mark 14:12). This Passover meal
involved eating bread without yeast and sacrificing a
lamb in memory of the time God liberated the Israelites
from Egyptian slavery (Exodus 12:1). The yeast-free bread—
used by the Israelites during their escape—is also a
symbol of sinlessness according to some commentators,
and the blood of the lamb was a symbol of salvation
(12:12-13). As Jesus offered His disciples bread and called
it His “body” (Mark 14:22), He was describing Himself as
the sinless One who would save them from judgment.
Then after drinking the wine, Jesus said, “This is My
blood which confirms the covenant between God and
His people” (Mark 14:23). Prior to releasing the
Israelites from Egypt, God had commanded each family
to sacrifice a lamb (Exodus 12:3). The blood from the
lamb, placed on their doorposts, was a “sign” to God
that He should pass over the house—sparing them from
His judgment. Then they ate the meat after it was roasted over a fire (vv.8-9).
A sacrifice brought God and humanity together. A shared meal brought
people together. In the most extraordinary act in history, Jesus became both
Passover sacrifice and fellowship meal.
By observing the Lord’s Supper today, we participate in God’s redeemed
How seriously do you engage with the Lord’s Supper? Are you ever
prone to ignore its social significance?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more