Living Houses of PrayerWhat does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?
Top Christian Music Videos
He Said, She Said
Did God really say you must not eat the fruit from any of the trees in the garden? (v.1).
A radio broadcast of H. G. Wells’ novel The War of the Worlds panicked thousands of listeners back in 1938. People who tuned in actually believed that aliens had landed on a farm in New Jersey and were preparing to attack the United States. They mistook a work of fiction for actual current events! A series of phony news bulletins featured a reporter giving an “eyewitness” account of terrifying happenings. As a result, confused citizens swarmed police stations and hundreds of people required medical help for “shock and hysteria.”
Confusion was a key factor in the fall of humankind. Most of us know the story: The snake struck up a conversation with Eve by asking, “Did God really say you must not eat the fruit from any of the trees in the garden?” (v.1). No! Eve corrected the serpent, but she didn’t get God’s statement right; she added something. She claimed that God said, “You must not eat it or even touch [the fruit]; if you do, you will die” (v.3). But God never said anything about touching the fruit.
The snake carried on his campaign of confusion. “You won’t die!” (v.4) he said. He insinuated that sampling the “illegal substance” would make life better for Eve because she would become “like God, knowing both good and evil” (v.5). Eve took the bait, but life did not improve. When she and Adam nibbled the forbidden fruit, “at that moment their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame” (v.7). (Can’t you hear the snake snickering in the background?)
Today, Satan confuses people by lying about what God has said and suggesting that consequences for sin don’t exist. He uses various opening lines: Just once won’t hurt . . . no one will ever know . . . everyone’s doing it. Accurately quoting God’s words and acting on His truth when tempted (Psalms 37:31; Matthew 4:1), however, means we won’t become bewildered by lies.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
What aspect of God’s Word has Satan tried to twist in your life? How can the Bible help you combat the temptation you face today?
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more