Begging the Question?Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?
Top Music Videos
Peace be with you (v.19).
It was dark. The garden was dark. The mood was
dark. Jesus had risen, but the Light hadn’t flooded in
. . . not yet. John and Peter had seen an empty tomb,
and in it they found only folded grave clothes. The one
who actually claimed to have seen Jesus was Mary
Magdalene. Most of the disciples must have wondered
if the tears, grief, and early morning shadows hadn’t
played a few tricks on Mary’s mind. So the disciples were
huddled together behind locked doors—huddled in fear.
And why shouldn’t they have been fearful? Fainthearted?
Spooked? The revolution had died. The
religious leaders had exacted revenge, and the Romans
had dropped the iron fist.
Then Jesus appeared! There He was, standing in the
middle of this timid band. We’re not told how Jesus
entered. He simply did. He was not there—and then
He was. And His words were direct: “Peace be with
you!” (John 20:19). Peace. When Jesus had appeared to
Mary, He spoke against her sorrow: “Dear woman, why
are you crying?” (v.15).
Jesus now stood in their midst speaking a reality—
peace—into existence. For Jesus, peace is the
atmosphere of the kingdom of God, and God’s kingdom
was what He was standing and declaring. Peace.
Jesus’ next move was to pull back His robe and offer
His wounds to the disciples’ plain view, showing them
His pierced hands and ripped-open side. Is this a strange scene, connected
to a declaration of peace? Jesus’ peace is not a way of avoiding what is most
heinous or disturbing. The peace Jesus offers is no stranger to violence or
abandonment or dread. Quite the opposite, it was won on a brutal cross.
And Jesus now stands in the midst of your nightmarish terror, fully alive,
pierced hands outstretched, naming your reality. Peace.
Continue reading John 20:1. Where did Thomas need peace? (vv.24-29).
How did Jesus offer it to him?
Where is your soul dark or sorrowful or fearful? What does God’s peace,
in Jesus, speak into those places?
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more