What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
Jacqueline's eyes flash fury and fire. She's the embodiment of the hot-tempered, angry, fight starter described in Proverbs 15:18, 29:22. It's not surprising then that rather than pleading with her landlord for more time to pay her delinquent rent, she beat him up and gave him two broken ribs.
The landlord was not the first person to suffer Jacqueline's wrath. She has slugged both strangers and neighbors alike, and two years ago she hit her husband so hard he ran off, never to return.
A while back, however, despite her behavior, Jacqueline was the direct beneficiary of two of my friends' generosity. She was so touched by their kindness, something she hasn't extended or received much of in her lifetime, that she decided to give up physical combat. Jacqueline has now gone 5 months without throwing a punch.
While "right hooks" aren't highly regarded in Scripture, we're nonetheless called to engage in a lifetime of tenacious fighting against opposition and temptation that aims to hinder our walk with Christ.
In his first letter to Timothy, Paul explained that we must "fight the good fight" as we remain true to the faith (1 Timothy 6:12). In another letter, the apostle says we're to approach spiritual warfare as an athlete would approach a competition, with discipline and with the goal of obtaining an "eternal prize" (1 Corinthians 9:25).
Finally, Paul wrote, "Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world" (Ephesians 6:10-12).
Unlike Jacqueline, we realize that the ultimate enemies we face are not human. Let's choose today to prayerfully, carefully battle against our unseen enemies as we lift up the truths of Jesus. , Roxanne Robbins, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more