Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Jacqueline's eyes flash fury and fire. She's the embodiment of the hot-tempered, angry, fight starter described in Proverbs 15:18, 29:22. It's not surprising then that rather than pleading with her landlord for more time to pay her delinquent rent, she beat him up and gave him two broken ribs.
The landlord was not the first person to suffer Jacqueline's wrath. She has slugged both strangers and neighbors alike, and two years ago she hit her husband so hard he ran off, never to return.
A while back, however, despite her behavior, Jacqueline was the direct beneficiary of two of my friends' generosity. She was so touched by their kindness, something she hasn't extended or received much of in her lifetime, that she decided to give up physical combat. Jacqueline has now gone 5 months without throwing a punch.
While "right hooks" aren't highly regarded in Scripture, we're nonetheless called to engage in a lifetime of tenacious fighting against opposition and temptation that aims to hinder our walk with Christ.
In his first letter to Timothy, Paul explained that we must "fight the good fight" as we remain true to the faith (1 Timothy 6:12). In another letter, the apostle says we're to approach spiritual warfare as an athlete would approach a competition, with discipline and with the goal of obtaining an "eternal prize" (1 Corinthians 9:25).
Finally, Paul wrote, "Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world" (Ephesians 6:10-12).
Unlike Jacqueline, we realize that the ultimate enemies we face are not human. Let's choose today to prayerfully, carefully battle against our unseen enemies as we lift up the truths of Jesus. , Roxanne Robbins, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more