Next StepsHave you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?
Top Christian Music Videos
Lowered To Be Raised
Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralyzed man, “My child, your
sins are forgiven” (v.5).
This is going to be good.” While enjoying some coffee
and catching up on life’s changes, I shared with my
friend about a difficult choice I had made regarding
my ministry responsibilities. Though I had toiled many
months in prayer, I was honest in telling her that I knew it
was a move of obedience, but that I was also uncertain
as to what the future would bring. Her simple words of
encouragement served to shift my view from the loss I was
feeling to the hope of Jesus’ presence in all things.
Sometimes in the midst of trying circumstances, we may
find it easier to believe God’s promises for others more
than for ourselves. It’s in those times that we most need to
surround ourselves with friends who will speak truth and
hope to us. While we will encounter trials where we must
press on in the presence of God on our own, as David
learned to do (1 Samuel 30:6), we will also face times
that will require an Aaron and Hur to be right beside us in
battle—giving us strength (Exodus 17:11-13).
Although God’s Word doesn’t tell us what precipitated
the decision of the four friends to help their buddy
(Mark 2:3), we can see from their example the qualities
we’ll find in those who can stir us to “take a new grip
with [our] tired hands and strengthen [our] weak knees”
(Hebrews 12:12). Feeling great compassion for the sick
man, these four men demonstrated:
• Fortitude in moving past any obstacle (Mark 2:4).
• Focus in getting their friend to Jesus (v.4).
• Faith in looking past the natural to the possible
in God (v.5).
They saw the potential for their friend’s life to be radically different.
Ultimately, though, they couldn’t make the man believe. The choice had to be his
Read 2 Samuel 13:1-15 to see what happens when you surround
yourself with friends who don’t have your best interests in mind.
Who has “carried you to Jesus” in a time of need? What’s the difference
between compassion and codependency?
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more