Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
When my son was a toddler, I played a game with him that made a big splash, literally. As I stood in the water, just a few feet from the edge of the pool, I would reach out my arms and encourage him to leap from the safe terra firma to me. I would count, "One . . two . . . THREE!" and with a giggle he would launch himself into my arms. To add some excitement, I would let his feet splash in the water just a bit.
Jesus reached His arms out to the "little children." Though His disciples felt that the children were a "bother," the Savior highly valued them and their faith (Luke 18:16-17). Unlike the pious and proud (v.9), they possessed a childlike faith marked by openness and trust. As Jesus lovingly embraced some kids, He said, "Anyone who doesn't receive the kingdom of God like a child will never enter it" (v.17).
In contrast, Luke then records Jesus' interaction with a rich religious leader. The man testified that he had kept God's "commandments since I was young" (v.21). Like the apostle Paul prior to his conversion, this man had been diligent in keeping the letter of the law (Philippians 3:6). But Jesus zeroed in on the rich leader's heart and told him to sell all his possessions and "follow Me" (Luke 18:22).
Does Christ ask every person to jettison all they own? No. This was simply a way of showing the man that he'd have to take the step of faith he desperately needed. The goal was for him to have a trusting, humble, childlike faith in the Savior.
Today, Jesus calls to you with arms outstretched. Humbly receive Him with childlike trust. Ready? One . . . two . . . three! , Tom Felten, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more