Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Judgment of Justice
[God] ensures that orphans and widows receive justice (v.18).
An acquaintance of mine, who is highly intelligent and has a philosophical bent, also carries antipathy toward God and religion. He enjoys being provocative, recently quoting the second-century philosopher Epicurus who said: “There is no such thing as justice in the abstract; it is merely a compact between men.”
If Epicurus was teaching that viewing justice as an ideal disconnected from the actual choices of life makes the notion of justice a sham, I agree with him. It seems, however, that Epicurus argued (and my friend with him) that there are no principles of justice that reign over human affairs. Rather, human choices determine what is just and what is unjust.
I believe Epicurus was drastically wrong in this view, and I’m thankful for that.
As Moses handed down laws creating the guiding principles of justice for Israel, he led with this question: “What does the Lord your God require of you?” (Deuteronomy 10:12). Justice is something that God sets before us, not something we set before ourselves (v.18). His justice sits in judgment over our actions. His truths and ways instruct us to conform to them. Justice is God’s making, not ours.
The changing whims of human logic and the fickle affections of the human heart are not enough to withstand the ongoing history of human violence and oppression. A constant refrain in the human story is the insidious presence of our greed and self-interest. If there is no judge over us and if right and wrong exist merely by our own choices, we’re kidding ourselves if we believe our morality can provide a clear and unequivocal answer to those who are abusive and violent.
The God of justice, however, rules over the earth, and we’re told to obey Him (v.13). This is good news.
Read Exodus 23:1-13. Note how many times “justice” is mentioned. Who gives these instructions?
What difference does it make to you if justice is your idea or God’s idea? Where does God want you to participate in His work of justice?
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more