Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
Judgment of Justice
[God] ensures that orphans and widows receive justice (v.18).
An acquaintance of mine, who is highly intelligent and has a philosophical bent, also carries antipathy toward God and religion. He enjoys being provocative, recently quoting the second-century philosopher Epicurus who said: “There is no such thing as justice in the abstract; it is merely a compact between men.”
If Epicurus was teaching that viewing justice as an ideal disconnected from the actual choices of life makes the notion of justice a sham, I agree with him. It seems, however, that Epicurus argued (and my friend with him) that there are no principles of justice that reign over human affairs. Rather, human choices determine what is just and what is unjust.
I believe Epicurus was drastically wrong in this view, and I’m thankful for that.
As Moses handed down laws creating the guiding principles of justice for Israel, he led with this question: “What does the Lord your God require of you?” (Deuteronomy 10:12). Justice is something that God sets before us, not something we set before ourselves (v.18). His justice sits in judgment over our actions. His truths and ways instruct us to conform to them. Justice is God’s making, not ours.
The changing whims of human logic and the fickle affections of the human heart are not enough to withstand the ongoing history of human violence and oppression. A constant refrain in the human story is the insidious presence of our greed and self-interest. If there is no judge over us and if right and wrong exist merely by our own choices, we’re kidding ourselves if we believe our morality can provide a clear and unequivocal answer to those who are abusive and violent.
The God of justice, however, rules over the earth, and we’re told to obey Him (v.13). This is good news.
Read Exodus 23:1-13. Note how many times “justice” is mentioned. Who gives these instructions?
What difference does it make to you if justice is your idea or God’s idea? Where does God want you to participate in His work of justice?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more