Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Judgment of Justice
[God] ensures that orphans and widows receive justice (v.18).
An acquaintance of mine, who is highly intelligent and has a philosophical bent, also carries antipathy toward God and religion. He enjoys being provocative, recently quoting the second-century philosopher Epicurus who said: “There is no such thing as justice in the abstract; it is merely a compact between men.”
If Epicurus was teaching that viewing justice as an ideal disconnected from the actual choices of life makes the notion of justice a sham, I agree with him. It seems, however, that Epicurus argued (and my friend with him) that there are no principles of justice that reign over human affairs. Rather, human choices determine what is just and what is unjust.
I believe Epicurus was drastically wrong in this view, and I’m thankful for that.
As Moses handed down laws creating the guiding principles of justice for Israel, he led with this question: “What does the Lord your God require of you?” (Deuteronomy 10:12). Justice is something that God sets before us, not something we set before ourselves (v.18). His justice sits in judgment over our actions. His truths and ways instruct us to conform to them. Justice is God’s making, not ours.
The changing whims of human logic and the fickle affections of the human heart are not enough to withstand the ongoing history of human violence and oppression. A constant refrain in the human story is the insidious presence of our greed and self-interest. If there is no judge over us and if right and wrong exist merely by our own choices, we’re kidding ourselves if we believe our morality can provide a clear and unequivocal answer to those who are abusive and violent.
The God of justice, however, rules over the earth, and we’re told to obey Him (v.13). This is good news.
Read Exodus 23:1-13. Note how many times “justice” is mentioned. Who gives these instructions?
What difference does it make to you if justice is your idea or God’s idea? Where does God want you to participate in His work of justice?
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more