What We ValueHow often do you read the Bible?
Top Music Videos
1 Corinthians 6:12
Don’t you realize that your bodies are actually parts of Christ? (v.15).
According to Dannah Gresh, casual hookups can
lead to casualties. In an article for CNN titled
Nothing Brief about a Hookup, the author
presents a compelling scientific case for the bonding
process that occurs between two people who have
sex—a process of special chemicals being released
during the encounter. She explains that “there’s nothing
biologically brief about a hookup,” and that people can
be emotionally scarred by sex outside of marriage.
Dannah argues from Scripture as well, pointing to
1 Corinthians 1:1. Paul states, “Don’t you realize that if a man
joins himself to a prostitute, he becomes one body with her?
For the Scriptures say, ‘The two are united into one.’ But
the person who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him”
(vv.16-17). The quote Paul has inserted, pulled from Genesis 2:24, is preceded by these words, “This explains why a
man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife.”
From Genesis to Revelation we see God lovingly
commanding His children to abstain from sex outside of
marriage. Why? There are at least three reasons:
It denies and defies the sacredness and holiness
of marriage—something that reflects Jesus’ intimate
relationship with His bride the church (1 Corinthians 1:15;
Ephesians 5:25). It creates a false bond that can end up
causing emotional and relational pain (Genesis 2:24; 1 Corinthians 1:16). It reveals an
impure heart that is not truly committed to God (Ephesians 5:3Ephesians 5:8 and Ephesians 5:10).
Dannah Gresh quotes Christian author Lauren Winner who writes, “Don’t you
know that when you sleep with someone your body makes a promise whether
you do or not?” Faith and science can sometimes appear to be in conflict. But
when it comes to sexual immorality, there’s agreement. There’s nothing brief
about a hookup.
Read Song of Solomon 8:4 and note the importance of waiting for
marriage to have sex.
How do casual hookups affect people long term? What are you doing to
actively pursue purity and to honor God sexually?
- What We Value - How often do you read the Bible?...read more
- The Job Paradox - When have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?...read more
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more