Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
1 Corinthians 6:12
Don’t you realize that your bodies are actually parts of Christ? (v.15).
According to Dannah Gresh, casual hookups can
lead to casualties. In an article for CNN titled
Nothing Brief about a Hookup, the author
presents a compelling scientific case for the bonding
process that occurs between two people who have
sex—a process of special chemicals being released
during the encounter. She explains that “there’s nothing
biologically brief about a hookup,” and that people can
be emotionally scarred by sex outside of marriage.
Dannah argues from Scripture as well, pointing to
1 Corinthians 1:1. Paul states, “Don’t you realize that if a man
joins himself to a prostitute, he becomes one body with her?
For the Scriptures say, ‘The two are united into one.’ But
the person who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him”
(vv.16-17). The quote Paul has inserted, pulled from Genesis 2:24, is preceded by these words, “This explains why a
man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife.”
From Genesis to Revelation we see God lovingly
commanding His children to abstain from sex outside of
marriage. Why? There are at least three reasons:
It denies and defies the sacredness and holiness
of marriage—something that reflects Jesus’ intimate
relationship with His bride the church (1 Corinthians 1:15;
Ephesians 5:25). It creates a false bond that can end up
causing emotional and relational pain (Genesis 2:24; 1 Corinthians 1:16). It reveals an
impure heart that is not truly committed to God (Ephesians 5:3Ephesians 5:8 and Ephesians 5:10).
Dannah Gresh quotes Christian author Lauren Winner who writes, “Don’t you
know that when you sleep with someone your body makes a promise whether
you do or not?” Faith and science can sometimes appear to be in conflict. But
when it comes to sexual immorality, there’s agreement. There’s nothing brief
about a hookup.
Read Song of Solomon 8:4 and note the importance of waiting for
marriage to have sex.
How do casual hookups affect people long term? What are you doing to
actively pursue purity and to honor God sexually?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more