Top Christian Music Videos
1 Corinthians 6:12
Don’t you realize that your bodies are actually parts of Christ? (v.15).
According to Dannah Gresh, casual hookups can
lead to casualties. In an article for CNN titled
Nothing Brief about a Hookup, the author
presents a compelling scientific case for the bonding
process that occurs between two people who have
sex—a process of special chemicals being released
during the encounter. She explains that “there’s nothing
biologically brief about a hookup,” and that people can
be emotionally scarred by sex outside of marriage.
Dannah argues from Scripture as well, pointing to
1 Corinthians 1:1. Paul states, “Don’t you realize that if a man
joins himself to a prostitute, he becomes one body with her?
For the Scriptures say, ‘The two are united into one.’ But
the person who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him”
(vv.16-17). The quote Paul has inserted, pulled from Genesis 2:24, is preceded by these words, “This explains why a
man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife.”
From Genesis to Revelation we see God lovingly
commanding His children to abstain from sex outside of
marriage. Why? There are at least three reasons:
It denies and defies the sacredness and holiness
of marriage—something that reflects Jesus’ intimate
relationship with His bride the church (1 Corinthians 1:15;
Ephesians 5:25). It creates a false bond that can end up
causing emotional and relational pain (Genesis 2:24; 1 Corinthians 1:16). It reveals an
impure heart that is not truly committed to God (Ephesians 5:3Ephesians 5:8 and Ephesians 5:10).
Dannah Gresh quotes Christian author Lauren Winner who writes, “Don’t you
know that when you sleep with someone your body makes a promise whether
you do or not?” Faith and science can sometimes appear to be in conflict. But
when it comes to sexual immorality, there’s agreement. There’s nothing brief
about a hookup.
Read Song of Solomon 8:4 and note the importance of waiting for
marriage to have sex.
How do casual hookups affect people long term? What are you doing to
actively pursue purity and to honor God sexually?
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more