The First Day—AgainHow does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?
Top Music Videos
1 Corinthians 6:12
Don’t you realize that your bodies are actually parts of Christ? (v.15).
According to Dannah Gresh, casual hookups can
lead to casualties. In an article for CNN titled
Nothing Brief about a Hookup, the author
presents a compelling scientific case for the bonding
process that occurs between two people who have
sex—a process of special chemicals being released
during the encounter. She explains that “there’s nothing
biologically brief about a hookup,” and that people can
be emotionally scarred by sex outside of marriage.
Dannah argues from Scripture as well, pointing to
1 Corinthians 1:1. Paul states, “Don’t you realize that if a man
joins himself to a prostitute, he becomes one body with her?
For the Scriptures say, ‘The two are united into one.’ But
the person who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him”
(vv.16-17). The quote Paul has inserted, pulled from Genesis 2:24, is preceded by these words, “This explains why a
man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife.”
From Genesis to Revelation we see God lovingly
commanding His children to abstain from sex outside of
marriage. Why? There are at least three reasons:
It denies and defies the sacredness and holiness
of marriage—something that reflects Jesus’ intimate
relationship with His bride the church (1 Corinthians 1:15;
Ephesians 5:25). It creates a false bond that can end up
causing emotional and relational pain (Genesis 2:24; 1 Corinthians 1:16). It reveals an
impure heart that is not truly committed to God (Ephesians 5:3Ephesians 5:8 and Ephesians 5:10).
Dannah Gresh quotes Christian author Lauren Winner who writes, “Don’t you
know that when you sleep with someone your body makes a promise whether
you do or not?” Faith and science can sometimes appear to be in conflict. But
when it comes to sexual immorality, there’s agreement. There’s nothing brief
about a hookup.
Read Song of Solomon 8:4 and note the importance of waiting for
marriage to have sex.
How do casual hookups affect people long term? What are you doing to
actively pursue purity and to honor God sexually?
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more