Faithful and TrueWhat experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Corinthians 6:12
Don’t you realize that your bodies are actually parts of Christ? (v.15).
According to Dannah Gresh, casual hookups can
lead to casualties. In an article for CNN titled
Nothing Brief about a Hookup, the author
presents a compelling scientific case for the bonding
process that occurs between two people who have
sex—a process of special chemicals being released
during the encounter. She explains that “there’s nothing
biologically brief about a hookup,” and that people can
be emotionally scarred by sex outside of marriage.
Dannah argues from Scripture as well, pointing to
1 Corinthians 1:1. Paul states, “Don’t you realize that if a man
joins himself to a prostitute, he becomes one body with her?
For the Scriptures say, ‘The two are united into one.’ But
the person who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him”
(vv.16-17). The quote Paul has inserted, pulled from Genesis 2:24, is preceded by these words, “This explains why a
man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife.”
From Genesis to Revelation we see God lovingly
commanding His children to abstain from sex outside of
marriage. Why? There are at least three reasons:
It denies and defies the sacredness and holiness
of marriage—something that reflects Jesus’ intimate
relationship with His bride the church (1 Corinthians 1:15;
Ephesians 5:25). It creates a false bond that can end up
causing emotional and relational pain (Genesis 2:24; 1 Corinthians 1:16). It reveals an
impure heart that is not truly committed to God (Ephesians 5:3Ephesians 5:8 and Ephesians 5:10).
Dannah Gresh quotes Christian author Lauren Winner who writes, “Don’t you
know that when you sleep with someone your body makes a promise whether
you do or not?” Faith and science can sometimes appear to be in conflict. But
when it comes to sexual immorality, there’s agreement. There’s nothing brief
about a hookup.
Read Song of Solomon 8:4 and note the importance of waiting for
marriage to have sex.
How do casual hookups affect people long term? What are you doing to
actively pursue purity and to honor God sexually?
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more