What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
Knowing Our Place
Someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not even worthy to stoop down like a slave and untie the straps of His sandals (v.7).
I recently read of a man who started a church and saw it grow and flourish over the years. But unlike some pastors whose fingers have to be pried from the pulpit, this man began grooming a younger man to take over his church. Why? Because he felt God was calling him to do so. And, at just 51 years old, this healthy, dynamic pastor humbly moved on as his 30-year-old protégé took his place.
From this account and John the Baptist’s example, we see the importance of truly finding our place in life. I don’t mean our purpose or vocation, but the point where we humbly acknowledge God’s sovereignty and preeminence.
John the Baptist had made a name for himself. “All Judea, including all the people of Jerusalem, went out to see and hear John” (Mark 1:5). But he didn’t let the attention go to his head. Instead, he told all who would listen, “Someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not even worthy to stoop down like a slave and untie the straps of His sandals” (v.7). John knew his place. It was to be a messenger, preparing the way (v.2)—not the Lord Himself! (v.3).
It’s interesting that John was not fully aware of Jesus’ divine purpose when he made his remarks. In fact, his full recognition of Jesus’ divinity would come much later, when Jesus made it perfectly clear to John’s disciples (Luke 7:18-23). At that time, He also said that of all people “who have ever lived, none is greater than John. Yet even the least person in the kingdom of God is greater than he is!” (v.28).
John was great, because he followed God in humility. And now we—part of the kingdom of God—can live out our greatness by humbly serving God and His people.
What is your greatest struggle with humility? How do the examples of John and Jesus encourage you to be humble before God?
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more