Right and Wrong WordsIs your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?
Top Christian Music Videos
Knowing Our Place
Someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not even worthy to stoop down like a slave and untie the straps of His sandals (v.7).
I recently read of a man who started a church and saw it grow and flourish over the years. But unlike some pastors whose fingers have to be pried from the pulpit, this man began grooming a younger man to take over his church. Why? Because he felt God was calling him to do so. And, at just 51 years old, this healthy, dynamic pastor humbly moved on as his 30-year-old protégé took his place.
From this account and John the Baptist’s example, we see the importance of truly finding our place in life. I don’t mean our purpose or vocation, but the point where we humbly acknowledge God’s sovereignty and preeminence.
John the Baptist had made a name for himself. “All Judea, including all the people of Jerusalem, went out to see and hear John” (Mark 1:5). But he didn’t let the attention go to his head. Instead, he told all who would listen, “Someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not even worthy to stoop down like a slave and untie the straps of His sandals” (v.7). John knew his place. It was to be a messenger, preparing the way (v.2)—not the Lord Himself! (v.3).
It’s interesting that John was not fully aware of Jesus’ divine purpose when he made his remarks. In fact, his full recognition of Jesus’ divinity would come much later, when Jesus made it perfectly clear to John’s disciples (Luke 7:18-23). At that time, He also said that of all people “who have ever lived, none is greater than John. Yet even the least person in the kingdom of God is greater than he is!” (v.28).
John was great, because he followed God in humility. And now we—part of the kingdom of God—can live out our greatness by humbly serving God and His people.
What is your greatest struggle with humility? How do the examples of John and Jesus encourage you to be humble before God?
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more