Warm WelcomeHow does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?
Top Christian Music Videos
Knowing Our Place
Someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not even worthy to stoop down like a slave and untie the straps of His sandals (v.7).
I recently read of a man who started a church and saw it grow and flourish over the years. But unlike some pastors whose fingers have to be pried from the pulpit, this man began grooming a younger man to take over his church. Why? Because he felt God was calling him to do so. And, at just 51 years old, this healthy, dynamic pastor humbly moved on as his 30-year-old protégé took his place.
From this account and John the Baptist’s example, we see the importance of truly finding our place in life. I don’t mean our purpose or vocation, but the point where we humbly acknowledge God’s sovereignty and preeminence.
John the Baptist had made a name for himself. “All Judea, including all the people of Jerusalem, went out to see and hear John” (Mark 1:5). But he didn’t let the attention go to his head. Instead, he told all who would listen, “Someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not even worthy to stoop down like a slave and untie the straps of His sandals” (v.7). John knew his place. It was to be a messenger, preparing the way (v.2)—not the Lord Himself! (v.3).
It’s interesting that John was not fully aware of Jesus’ divine purpose when he made his remarks. In fact, his full recognition of Jesus’ divinity would come much later, when Jesus made it perfectly clear to John’s disciples (Luke 7:18-23). At that time, He also said that of all people “who have ever lived, none is greater than John. Yet even the least person in the kingdom of God is greater than he is!” (v.28).
John was great, because he followed God in humility. And now we—part of the kingdom of God—can live out our greatness by humbly serving God and His people.
What is your greatest struggle with humility? How do the examples of John and Jesus encourage you to be humble before God?
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more