Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
Time in a Bottle
The Word gave life to everything that was created, and His life brought light to everyone (v.4).
Last year, Daniil Korotkikh, a 13-year-old Russian boy,
was beachcombing on the Curonian Spit when he
stumbled upon an old bottle poking out of the sand.
He picked it up, uncorked it, and discovered a letter
written 24 years earlier. Frank, a German boy on a ship
to Denmark with his family, had written a letter including
his address for return correspondence, sealed it up,
and tossed the bottle into the icy ocean. Two and a half
decades later, Daniil discovered it—and amazingly, he
was able to contact Frank. They’re now friends.
The letter—those written words—was a treasure for
Daniil. They connected him to another person and led
him to friendship. We say the same is true of God’s
Word to us, but often it doesn’t feel like a treasure.
Perhaps we’re slow to admit it, but God’s Word often
feels more like an obligation—a burden. We should
read the Bible. We should incorporate the Bible’s truth.
These admonitions often leave us tired, hollow, and guiltladen.
We know that Scripture isn’t simply words on a page,
but rather an encounter with a person—the person
of Jesus Christ—present with us by the Spirit of God.
Jesus is “the Word,” the One who embodies all that
Scripture contains (John 1:1). This Word (Jesus) is the
One who “gave life” and the One who brings “light to
everyone” (v.4). This Word is the One who “shines in
the darkness” (v.5).
In a world—and in a religious environment—filled with lots and lots of words,
we have an invitation to encounter the Word—the Word that lives and loves
and offers Himself to us. Will we listen? Will we hear? If so, we’ll discover true
treasure and rich friendship.
Read (and pray) Psalms 119:9. What are the connections between
God and His Word?
How would you describe your experience with Scripture? How does it
inspire you to read the Bible more when you consider that Jesus is the
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more