Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Time in a Bottle
The Word gave life to everything that was created, and His life brought light to everyone (v.4).
Last year, Daniil Korotkikh, a 13-year-old Russian boy,
was beachcombing on the Curonian Spit when he
stumbled upon an old bottle poking out of the sand.
He picked it up, uncorked it, and discovered a letter
written 24 years earlier. Frank, a German boy on a ship
to Denmark with his family, had written a letter including
his address for return correspondence, sealed it up,
and tossed the bottle into the icy ocean. Two and a half
decades later, Daniil discovered it—and amazingly, he
was able to contact Frank. They’re now friends.
The letter—those written words—was a treasure for
Daniil. They connected him to another person and led
him to friendship. We say the same is true of God’s
Word to us, but often it doesn’t feel like a treasure.
Perhaps we’re slow to admit it, but God’s Word often
feels more like an obligation—a burden. We should
read the Bible. We should incorporate the Bible’s truth.
These admonitions often leave us tired, hollow, and guiltladen.
We know that Scripture isn’t simply words on a page,
but rather an encounter with a person—the person
of Jesus Christ—present with us by the Spirit of God.
Jesus is “the Word,” the One who embodies all that
Scripture contains (John 1:1). This Word (Jesus) is the
One who “gave life” and the One who brings “light to
everyone” (v.4). This Word is the One who “shines in
the darkness” (v.5).
In a world—and in a religious environment—filled with lots and lots of words,
we have an invitation to encounter the Word—the Word that lives and loves
and offers Himself to us. Will we listen? Will we hear? If so, we’ll discover true
treasure and rich friendship.
Read (and pray) Psalms 119:9. What are the connections between
God and His Word?
How would you describe your experience with Scripture? How does it
inspire you to read the Bible more when you consider that Jesus is the
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more