Timeless GrooveWhat lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?
Top Christian Music Videos
Youth Ministry 101
Each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved (v.47).
If you read some recent books on youth ministry, it’s hard not to get the sense that this part of church ministry is experiencing some major struggles. And nearly everyone has an opinion about how youth ministry should be improved. Parents, youth workers, and young people themselves have expectations and demands that don’t always overlap. So, what should we do?
In Acts 2, we read about the birth of the church when 3,000 people were suddenly added to a little band of 120 (1:15). What did the members of this fledgling, growing group do? They “devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer” (Acts 2:42). They wanted to know God and how to live a life that pleased Him. So they studied His Word, enjoyed fellowship, and prayed together. As truth was proclaimed, the people loved one another deeply, and lives were changed. A profound impact was made on each believer and on those in the local community (vv.43-46).
But what about games? Music? Fun? What about those elements that could attract the youth? Well, if we study Acts 2, we note that it wasn’t excellent programming that attracted the people—it was transformed lives. Now this doesn’t mean that youth ministry today should be dull. Bible teaching and discussion can be inspiring and heart-changing. In the early church, as the believers passionately pursued God, He “added to their fellowship those who were being saved” (v.47).
If you’re a youth worker or a parent, focus on directing your youth to exalt God, encourage one another, and share their faith with the lost. And if you’re a member of a youth group, remember that you’re not in it to be entertained. God has so much more for you to do.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Ecclesiastes 11:9 to gain some wisdom on how to follow God as a young person.
How can you help a young person grow in Jesus? What can you do to encourage other believers to exalt God, edify other Christians, and evangelize the lost?
- Timeless Groove - What lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?...read more
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more