VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
Youth Ministry 101
Each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved (v.47).
If you read some recent books on youth ministry, it’s hard not to get the sense that this part of church ministry is experiencing some major struggles. And nearly everyone has an opinion about how youth ministry should be improved. Parents, youth workers, and young people themselves have expectations and demands that don’t always overlap. So, what should we do?
In Acts 2, we read about the birth of the church when 3,000 people were suddenly added to a little band of 120 (1:15). What did the members of this fledgling, growing group do? They “devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer” (Acts 2:42). They wanted to know God and how to live a life that pleased Him. So they studied His Word, enjoyed fellowship, and prayed together. As truth was proclaimed, the people loved one another deeply, and lives were changed. A profound impact was made on each believer and on those in the local community (vv.43-46).
But what about games? Music? Fun? What about those elements that could attract the youth? Well, if we study Acts 2, we note that it wasn’t excellent programming that attracted the people—it was transformed lives. Now this doesn’t mean that youth ministry today should be dull. Bible teaching and discussion can be inspiring and heart-changing. In the early church, as the believers passionately pursued God, He “added to their fellowship those who were being saved” (v.47).
If you’re a youth worker or a parent, focus on directing your youth to exalt God, encourage one another, and share their faith with the lost. And if you’re a member of a youth group, remember that you’re not in it to be entertained. God has so much more for you to do.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Ecclesiastes 11:9 to gain some wisdom on how to follow God as a young person.
How can you help a young person grow in Jesus? What can you do to encourage other believers to exalt God, edify other Christians, and evangelize the lost?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more