True FellowshipWhat comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?
Top Music Videos
Youth Ministry 101
Each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved (v.47).
If you read some recent books on youth ministry, it’s hard not to get the sense that this part of church ministry is experiencing some major struggles. And nearly everyone has an opinion about how youth ministry should be improved. Parents, youth workers, and young people themselves have expectations and demands that don’t always overlap. So, what should we do?
In Acts 2, we read about the birth of the church when 3,000 people were suddenly added to a little band of 120 (1:15). What did the members of this fledgling, growing group do? They “devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer” (Acts 2:42). They wanted to know God and how to live a life that pleased Him. So they studied His Word, enjoyed fellowship, and prayed together. As truth was proclaimed, the people loved one another deeply, and lives were changed. A profound impact was made on each believer and on those in the local community (vv.43-46).
But what about games? Music? Fun? What about those elements that could attract the youth? Well, if we study Acts 2, we note that it wasn’t excellent programming that attracted the people—it was transformed lives. Now this doesn’t mean that youth ministry today should be dull. Bible teaching and discussion can be inspiring and heart-changing. In the early church, as the believers passionately pursued God, He “added to their fellowship those who were being saved” (v.47).
If you’re a youth worker or a parent, focus on directing your youth to exalt God, encourage one another, and share their faith with the lost. And if you’re a member of a youth group, remember that you’re not in it to be entertained. God has so much more for you to do.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Ecclesiastes 11:9 to gain some wisdom on how to follow God as a young person.
How can you help a young person grow in Jesus? What can you do to encourage other believers to exalt God, edify other Christians, and evangelize the lost?
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more