Begging the Question?Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?
Top Music Videos
1 Corinthians 15:20
Thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord
Jesus Christ (v.57).
During a recent 3-week stay in the hospital, I met
Kathy. She shared her grave medical condition
and her strong faith—an unflinching belief in
Jesus. She loved Him and trusted Him, but she also knew
she was heading home to hospice care. Her days on
earth were counting down. As my wife and I talked with
Kathy, we learned of her sadness in having to leave her
teenage son and husband. The joy of soon being united
with Jesus was mixed with the sorrow of having to let go.
Like Kathy, unless Jesus returns, all of us will face the
day when our physical life will end. What will it take
for us to avoid sorrow “like people who have no hope”?
(1 Thessalonians 1:13). The apostle Paul gives us some
excellent reasons in 1 Corinthians 1:1:
• Jesus died, but He rose again! — Our faith is based
in the One who has conquered death (vv.4,21,57). Paul
himself said, “I also saw [Jesus]” after His resurrection
• After death comes new life! — There is hope past
the grave, for faith in Jesus leads to eternal life with Him.
“Everyone who belongs to Christ will be given new life”
(v.22, see also 42).
• Jesus gives us victory! — Instead of spending our last
days on earth filled with dread, we can experience the
supernatural peace, power, and perspective that Jesus
alone provides (vv.55,57).
There can be true hope and anticipation for those who are facing death.
I saw it in Kathy’s face and heard it in her words. A “strong and immovable”
(v.58) faith is often formed in the fires of pain and adversity.
When it’s time, may God help us to release those we love into His faithful
care as our days on earth draw to a close. We can trust Him with our future.
Why is death so hard even when we place our trust in Jesus? What
promise from God’s Word brings you the most comfort as you consider
the finality of death?
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more