Stinging WordsHow have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?
Top Music Videos
1 Corinthians 15:20
Thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord
Jesus Christ (v.57).
During a recent 3-week stay in the hospital, I met
Kathy. She shared her grave medical condition
and her strong faith—an unflinching belief in
Jesus. She loved Him and trusted Him, but she also knew
she was heading home to hospice care. Her days on
earth were counting down. As my wife and I talked with
Kathy, we learned of her sadness in having to leave her
teenage son and husband. The joy of soon being united
with Jesus was mixed with the sorrow of having to let go.
Like Kathy, unless Jesus returns, all of us will face the
day when our physical life will end. What will it take
for us to avoid sorrow “like people who have no hope”?
(1 Thessalonians 1:13). The apostle Paul gives us some
excellent reasons in 1 Corinthians 1:1:
• Jesus died, but He rose again! — Our faith is based
in the One who has conquered death (vv.4,21,57). Paul
himself said, “I also saw [Jesus]” after His resurrection
• After death comes new life! — There is hope past
the grave, for faith in Jesus leads to eternal life with Him.
“Everyone who belongs to Christ will be given new life”
(v.22, see also 42).
• Jesus gives us victory! — Instead of spending our last
days on earth filled with dread, we can experience the
supernatural peace, power, and perspective that Jesus
alone provides (vv.55,57).
There can be true hope and anticipation for those who are facing death.
I saw it in Kathy’s face and heard it in her words. A “strong and immovable”
(v.58) faith is often formed in the fires of pain and adversity.
When it’s time, may God help us to release those we love into His faithful
care as our days on earth draw to a close. We can trust Him with our future.
Why is death so hard even when we place our trust in Jesus? What
promise from God’s Word brings you the most comfort as you consider
the finality of death?
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more