Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
Steve Goldsmith is a veterinarian who performs humanitarian work in difficult locations around the world. It's humanitarian work because in poverty-stricken regions healthy animals can spell the difference between life and death for the people!
Recently, Dr. Goldsmith went on a medical mission to war-ravaged Afghanistan. One family cow didn't take kindly to being stuck with a needle. The bad-tempered beast managed to kick free of her handlers. In the process, she kicked up a helping of, you guessed it, fresh fertilizer. The flung dung splattered across the vet's face. Yuck!
The crowd of curious kids that had gathered found this highly amusing. And Dr. Goldsmith? He laughed heartily with them. "I won them over with that," he recalls. "It broke down the barriers."
The classic example of barrier-breaking is Jesus Himself. Author Philip Yancey notes that when Jesus came to earth, "He played by the rules." Yancey means that Jesus didn't come as divine royalty but as a humble baby, totally reliant on His mother, fully vulnerable to life's pain. The apostle Paul writes of Jesus: "He gave up His divine privileges; He took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being" (Philippians 2:7). Jesus did this to rescue us from the penalty of our own willful disobedience. "He humbled Himself in obedience to God and died a criminal's death on a cross" (v.8).
Our first reaction to unpalatable situations is to preserve our own comfort and dignity. Jesus offers a stunning contrast. "Because of the joy awaiting Him, [Jesus] endured the cross, disregarding its shame" (Hebrews 12:2). We all face things we'd rather avoid. Remember, we serve One who has endured far worse for our sakes. , Tim Gustafson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more