LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
Steve Goldsmith is a veterinarian who performs humanitarian work in difficult locations around the world. It's humanitarian work because in poverty-stricken regions healthy animals can spell the difference between life and death for the people!
Recently, Dr. Goldsmith went on a medical mission to war-ravaged Afghanistan. One family cow didn't take kindly to being stuck with a needle. The bad-tempered beast managed to kick free of her handlers. In the process, she kicked up a helping of, you guessed it, fresh fertilizer. The flung dung splattered across the vet's face. Yuck!
The crowd of curious kids that had gathered found this highly amusing. And Dr. Goldsmith? He laughed heartily with them. "I won them over with that," he recalls. "It broke down the barriers."
The classic example of barrier-breaking is Jesus Himself. Author Philip Yancey notes that when Jesus came to earth, "He played by the rules." Yancey means that Jesus didn't come as divine royalty but as a humble baby, totally reliant on His mother, fully vulnerable to life's pain. The apostle Paul writes of Jesus: "He gave up His divine privileges; He took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being" (Philippians 2:7). Jesus did this to rescue us from the penalty of our own willful disobedience. "He humbled Himself in obedience to God and died a criminal's death on a cross" (v.8).
Our first reaction to unpalatable situations is to preserve our own comfort and dignity. Jesus offers a stunning contrast. "Because of the joy awaiting Him, [Jesus] endured the cross, disregarding its shame" (Hebrews 12:2). We all face things we'd rather avoid. Remember, we serve One who has endured far worse for our sakes. , Tim Gustafson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more