Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows (v.27).
As a pastor, I get interesting responses from people when they discover my vocation. Some will immediately apologize for the language they’ve used. Some offer a forced smile and then come up with an excuse to change the subject. One line I hear often is: “Well, I like Jesus, but I don’t like religion.”
I understand the sentiment. People are leery of the church and religion because they believe the church to be greedy or fear-mongering or unloving. And it’s true that believers in Jesus have in fact sometimes exhibited those things. We have too often not lived up to our name and followed the way of Jesus.
“Religion,” however, is the practice of faith (James 1:27). The church is the physical way God has given us to practice the way of God’s kingdom. The problem with saying we like Jesus but not the church is that Jesus loves the church. He said it’s something He will build (Matthew 16:18). In addition, Paul uses the imagery of the church as Jesus’ bride (Ephesians 5:22). If we love Him, then loving the church is part of the package deal.
When we say that we like God but not religion, what we sometimes mean is that we like our individual, internal notions of “faith,” but we don’t want to be committed to any actual narratives, practices, or communities of faith. We want the vague notion of God (one that easily bends to our whims), but we don’t want to commit ourselves to the difficult work of living in real relationships guided by truths to which we must obediently yield.
Concrete actions (like caring for orphans and widows) done within a concrete community (the church) is good religion. We need it, and it will honor God and bring us joy.
Read James 1:19 again. How does our religion become worthless? And why do you think this would make us foolish?
Where might you be called to commit more fully to a concrete community of faith? In what ways do you need to begin living out a concrete practice of faith?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more