Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
Chuck Shepherd oversees the Web site News of the Weird that reports all the strange, unbelievable stories crossing the newswires. Shepherd's site will leave you scratching your head at the improbable or ludicrous happenings. The site boasts the tagline: "Proof that true stories are weirder than made-up stories."
Often, people put God's words in the same category. Are you kidding me? That sounds preposterous. Can't be true. God offers a new way to live, a new way to see and hope and love; and His kingdom often seems entirely out of touch with the world we know.
When God came to Abraham (old, withered, 99-year-old Abraham) to tell him he would father a son, Abraham couldn't help himself: "He laughed to himself in disbelief." And He chuckled in amazement, saying, "How could I become a father at the age of 100?" (Genesis 17:17).
Abraham's wife Sarah, "long past the age of having children" (a kind way of saying Sarah was older than dirt), had exactly the same response (18:11). She laughed (v.12). The notion was comical.
"Why did the two . . . laugh?" asked Frederick Buechner. "They laughed because they knew only a fool would believe that a woman with one foot in the grave was soon going to have her other foot in the maternity ward." But 9 months later, Isaac arrived. And, appropriately, his name means "laughter." This was a different laughter, an irrepressible laughter of joy and beautiful hope-come-true.
Perhaps this is a good sign that we've heard God correctly, we laugh at the seeming impossibility of it all. God says we are forgiven and loved, that He will make our world right, no reason to fear, and we can hardly believe it. Without God, it is impossible and laughable. , Winn Collier, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more