A Little FartherDo you hear much about lament in your local church?
Top Christian Music Videos
I told you, “I am the Lord your God. You must not worship the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you now live.” But you have not listened to Me (v.10).
Nik Wallenda became the first man to walk across Niagara Falls on a tightrope. During this amazing accomplishment, the television network that broadcast the event insisted that Wallenda wear a tether, so even if he had slipped he would not have plummeted to his death. Nik protested, but reluctantly agreed to use the tether. I’m glad he did, especially for the sake of his wife and children—but for some it may have diminished his accomplishment a bit.
Wallenda seemed to realize this, for in his celebratory interview he said, “I had a tether but I didn’t use it.” Actually he did, for the tether still provided valuable insurance. It supplied confidence as he walked through the swirling mist. Would he have been as surefooted if he knew that one false step or gust of wind could have swept him to his death?
It’s great to have a backup plan, but having a tether that guarantees physical safety is the surest path to our spiritual death. The Israelites had a tether. They worshiped Yahweh, but they also hedged their bets by praying to pagan gods. They assumed that the God who delivered them from Egypt would continue to provide, but they figured it didn’t hurt to have a Plan B.
Poor Gideon didn’t understand why the Israelites were starving. “If the Lord is with us,” he asked the angel of the Lord, “why has all this happened to us?” (Judges 6:13). The angel told Gideon to cut the tether. He needed to destroy his father’s altar to Baal before he fought the Midianites (v.25). And to make sure he got the point, he whittled down Gideon’s army to 300 men (Judges 7:7).
No backup plan or tether can compete with Jesus. Trust in Him alone.
Read Isaiah 46:1 to learn the difference between the true God and His inferior competitors.
If God were to stop answering your prayers and providing for your needs, how long would it take before you noticed? What is your tether today? How will you remove it?
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more