After 35What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?
Top Music Videos
I told you, “I am the Lord your God. You must not worship the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you now live.” But you have not listened to Me (v.10).
Nik Wallenda became the first man to walk across Niagara Falls on a tightrope. During this amazing accomplishment, the television network that broadcast the event insisted that Wallenda wear a tether, so even if he had slipped he would not have plummeted to his death. Nik protested, but reluctantly agreed to use the tether. I’m glad he did, especially for the sake of his wife and children—but for some it may have diminished his accomplishment a bit.
Wallenda seemed to realize this, for in his celebratory interview he said, “I had a tether but I didn’t use it.” Actually he did, for the tether still provided valuable insurance. It supplied confidence as he walked through the swirling mist. Would he have been as surefooted if he knew that one false step or gust of wind could have swept him to his death?
It’s great to have a backup plan, but having a tether that guarantees physical safety is the surest path to our spiritual death. The Israelites had a tether. They worshiped Yahweh, but they also hedged their bets by praying to pagan gods. They assumed that the God who delivered them from Egypt would continue to provide, but they figured it didn’t hurt to have a Plan B.
Poor Gideon didn’t understand why the Israelites were starving. “If the Lord is with us,” he asked the angel of the Lord, “why has all this happened to us?” (Judges 6:13). The angel told Gideon to cut the tether. He needed to destroy his father’s altar to Baal before he fought the Midianites (v.25). And to make sure he got the point, he whittled down Gideon’s army to 300 men (Judges 7:7).
No backup plan or tether can compete with Jesus. Trust in Him alone.
Read Isaiah 46:1 to learn the difference between the true God and His inferior competitors.
If God were to stop answering your prayers and providing for your needs, how long would it take before you noticed? What is your tether today? How will you remove it?
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more
- What a Friend! - What does it mean to you to have a friend in Jesus?...read more