John's QuestionWhat steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?
Top Music Videos
Daniel was determined not to defile himself by eating the food and
wine given to them by the king. He asked the chief of staff for
permission not to eat these unacceptable foods (v.8).
A chimera is a bizarre-looking character
found in Greek mythology. The fire-breathing
female is composed from the parts of a lion,
goat, and serpent. Recently, a religious leader used the
term chimera to describe the philosophy of education
in his native Sweden. The highly secular country has
told all its schools—including Christian ones—that they
must teach subjects in a “nonconfessional,” “objective”
manner. This leads to a chimera, for it means that the
significance Christianity has played in the culture must
be dismembered from education—the “head” of the
body being replaced by something entirely different.
Daniel experienced the challenges of being educated
in a society that didn’t hold to God’s commands (Daniel 1:4). Babylonian brainwashing had been foisted upon
them (v.5). But “Daniel was determined not to defile
himself” with the diet they tried to serve him (v.8). His
refusal to eat “unacceptable foods” resulted in Daniel and
his friends being “healthier” than the other young men, it
also revealed his strong commitment to God’s truth.
As we live in a “secular state” and are constantly
bombarded by messages and philosophies contrary to
God’s wisdom, we can imitate Daniel and his buddies.
Here’s what they chose to do:
• Learn, but discern—The young men were diligent in their studies, taking in
“every aspect of literature and wisdom” (v.17). But they chose God’s wisdom.
• Fearlessly follow God—Daniel spoke the truth to the king—even some
hard things about the future of his kingdom (Daniel 2:39). The king responded by
praising God (v.47).
Whether you’re in high school, college, or in the work force, choose to
follow Daniel’s plan: Pursue learning, but let God and His Word be your guide
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more