The Gift of LoveHow should you respond to such a great love?
Top Christian Music Videos
Daniel was determined not to defile himself by eating the food and
wine given to them by the king. He asked the chief of staff for
permission not to eat these unacceptable foods (v.8).
A chimera is a bizarre-looking character
found in Greek mythology. The fire-breathing
female is composed from the parts of a lion,
goat, and serpent. Recently, a religious leader used the
term chimera to describe the philosophy of education
in his native Sweden. The highly secular country has
told all its schools—including Christian ones—that they
must teach subjects in a “nonconfessional,” “objective”
manner. This leads to a chimera, for it means that the
significance Christianity has played in the culture must
be dismembered from education—the “head” of the
body being replaced by something entirely different.
Daniel experienced the challenges of being educated
in a society that didn’t hold to God’s commands (Daniel 1:4). Babylonian brainwashing had been foisted upon
them (v.5). But “Daniel was determined not to defile
himself” with the diet they tried to serve him (v.8). His
refusal to eat “unacceptable foods” resulted in Daniel and
his friends being “healthier” than the other young men, it
also revealed his strong commitment to God’s truth.
As we live in a “secular state” and are constantly
bombarded by messages and philosophies contrary to
God’s wisdom, we can imitate Daniel and his buddies.
Here’s what they chose to do:
• Learn, but discern—The young men were diligent in their studies, taking in
“every aspect of literature and wisdom” (v.17). But they chose God’s wisdom.
• Fearlessly follow God—Daniel spoke the truth to the king—even some
hard things about the future of his kingdom (Daniel 2:39). The king responded by
praising God (v.47).
Whether you’re in high school, college, or in the work force, choose to
follow Daniel’s plan: Pursue learning, but let God and His Word be your guide
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more