Choosing to ForgetWhat painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Daniel was determined not to defile himself by eating the food and
wine given to them by the king. He asked the chief of staff for
permission not to eat these unacceptable foods (v.8).
A chimera is a bizarre-looking character
found in Greek mythology. The fire-breathing
female is composed from the parts of a lion,
goat, and serpent. Recently, a religious leader used the
term chimera to describe the philosophy of education
in his native Sweden. The highly secular country has
told all its schools—including Christian ones—that they
must teach subjects in a “nonconfessional,” “objective”
manner. This leads to a chimera, for it means that the
significance Christianity has played in the culture must
be dismembered from education—the “head” of the
body being replaced by something entirely different.
Daniel experienced the challenges of being educated
in a society that didn’t hold to God’s commands (Daniel 1:4). Babylonian brainwashing had been foisted upon
them (v.5). But “Daniel was determined not to defile
himself” with the diet they tried to serve him (v.8). His
refusal to eat “unacceptable foods” resulted in Daniel and
his friends being “healthier” than the other young men, it
also revealed his strong commitment to God’s truth.
As we live in a “secular state” and are constantly
bombarded by messages and philosophies contrary to
God’s wisdom, we can imitate Daniel and his buddies.
Here’s what they chose to do:
• Learn, but discern—The young men were diligent in their studies, taking in
“every aspect of literature and wisdom” (v.17). But they chose God’s wisdom.
• Fearlessly follow God—Daniel spoke the truth to the king—even some
hard things about the future of his kingdom (Daniel 2:39). The king responded by
praising God (v.47).
Whether you’re in high school, college, or in the work force, choose to
follow Daniel’s plan: Pursue learning, but let God and His Word be your guide
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more