Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Daniel 6:1 [They] found [Daniel] praying and asking for God’s help (v.11).
There’s a lady down the street who’s crazy for flowers. At the first sign of spring, she crowds her porch with clay pots containing seedlings. Blooms fill her yard in a rainbow procession all summer long. Daffodils and tulips perform like dancers in a chorus line. Sweet-scented peonies bob in the breeze. Later in the season, towering hollyhocks, and cheerful daisies take their turn in the spotlight. This woman proclaims her passion to every passerby without saying a word.
We can also go public with our passion for God and His ways through our everyday activities. Many of us work with nonbelievers. This was the case with Daniel— he was an administrator for the pagan King Darius. Daniel not only had skill in this area, but “he was faithful, always responsible, and completely trustworthy” (Daniel 6:4). Daniel’s uprightness reflected God’s integrity to others (2 Chronicles 19:6).
Daniel’s co-workers scrutinized his every step to try to disqualify him from an important promotion. Because he had a clean work record, they turned to his private life— namely his spiritual practices. They outlawed prayer to anyone but Darius, and then “went together to Daniel’s house and found him praying and asking for God’s help” (Daniel 6:11). As a result, Daniel had to spend a night in the lions’ den; but not before King Darius said, “May your God, whom you serve so faithfully, rescue you” (v.16). And God did just that (v.22).
Daniel’s daily habits proclaimed his passion for God, and ours can too. His devotion became contagious. King Darius came to believe in God, declaring, “He is the living God . . . . He rescues and saves His people . . . . He has rescued Daniel from the power of the lions” (vv.26-27).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
What are some ways in which you might show— not tell—people in your life about your passion for Jesus? How can fear prevent you from living out your faith?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more