Prayerful RetreatHow often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Daniel 6:1 [They] found [Daniel] praying and asking for God’s help (v.11).
There’s a lady down the street who’s crazy for flowers. At the first sign of spring, she crowds her porch with clay pots containing seedlings. Blooms fill her yard in a rainbow procession all summer long. Daffodils and tulips perform like dancers in a chorus line. Sweet-scented peonies bob in the breeze. Later in the season, towering hollyhocks, and cheerful daisies take their turn in the spotlight. This woman proclaims her passion to every passerby without saying a word.
We can also go public with our passion for God and His ways through our everyday activities. Many of us work with nonbelievers. This was the case with Daniel— he was an administrator for the pagan King Darius. Daniel not only had skill in this area, but “he was faithful, always responsible, and completely trustworthy” (Daniel 6:4). Daniel’s uprightness reflected God’s integrity to others (2 Chronicles 19:6).
Daniel’s co-workers scrutinized his every step to try to disqualify him from an important promotion. Because he had a clean work record, they turned to his private life— namely his spiritual practices. They outlawed prayer to anyone but Darius, and then “went together to Daniel’s house and found him praying and asking for God’s help” (Daniel 6:11). As a result, Daniel had to spend a night in the lions’ den; but not before King Darius said, “May your God, whom you serve so faithfully, rescue you” (v.16). And God did just that (v.22).
Daniel’s daily habits proclaimed his passion for God, and ours can too. His devotion became contagious. King Darius came to believe in God, declaring, “He is the living God . . . . He rescues and saves His people . . . . He has rescued Daniel from the power of the lions” (vv.26-27).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
What are some ways in which you might show— not tell—people in your life about your passion for Jesus? How can fear prevent you from living out your faith?
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more