What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
So, when was the last time you heard someone being complimented for being virtuous? In Ecclesiastes 7:29, we read, "God created people to be virtuous." So, what does this word mean? The Hebrew word for virtuous is chayil, which means "strength." Throughout the Old Testament, we find that in the majority of cases this word refers to soldiers, to fighting men, to armies. When used to describe a woman, it means that she possesses noble character (Proverbs 31:10-31).
Ruth was described as a virtuous woman (Ruth 3:11). What did she do to earn that reputation? In chapter 1, Naomi knew that her two daughters-in-law, Orpah and Ruth, would face a bleak future if they returned with her to Bethlehem. She released them from their obligation to her. But Ruth made the life-changing decision to stay with Naomi. Her incredible loyalty was seen in the price she paid. First, it meant leaving her family and homeland. Second, it meant, as far as Ruth knew, a life of widowhood and childlessness. Third, it meant going to an unknown land and living among people of different customs. Fourth, she made a commitment never to return home, not even after Naomi would die (v.17). And the most amazing commitment she made to Naomi was, "Your God will be my God" (v.16).
In Ruth 2, we read that the young widow was gleaning in the field. Not only was it backbreaking work where women were often abused, it was also uncertain work. Yet Ruth was out in the sun, trying her best to provide for Naomi. Ruth embraced God in spite of her circumstances. And she did her best with a joyful disposition. From Ruth's life, we see that a virtuous person is one committed to God and to doing what's right. Let's follow her example and pursue a virtuous life in Jesus! , Poh Fang Chia, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more