Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
Commoner to Royalty
You are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession (v.9).
The New York Times estimated that 3 billion people watched Prince William, heir to the throne of England, marry Kate Middleton. If true, nearly one out of every two people on the planet tuned in to watch the welldressed duo tie the royal knot. While the actual number of viewers was probably much less, still the London wedding was watched by millions across the globe.
Why all the hype? I suspect it was partly due to the fact that Kate was a commoner—as William’s mother Diana was. She wasn’t of royal descent. As William’s chosen bride, Kate the commoner became Katherine, the Duchess of Cambridge—and one day she is destined to be the wife of the King of England. Her life will never be the same. She now lives an extraordinary life of honor, privilege, and influence.
For those of us who know Jesus as Savior and King, Kate’s story bears a striking similarity to our story. We too were commoners chosen by God to become royalty. To a group of early Christians, the apostle Peter wrote, “You are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people” (1 Peter 1:9).
Peter’s royal pronouncement is not limited to first-century Christians. It applies to believers of all ages. And becoming children of the King comes with tremendous privilege and purpose.
Each day we have the honor of representing King Jesus by working for the goodness of His kingdom. Peter went on to note, as a result of becoming royalty, we can show others the goodness of God, for He called us “out of the darkness into His wonderful light” (1 Peter 1:9).
The more we former “commoners” grasp our royalty and go to work for God’s kingdom, the more we will be transformed and overflow with meaning and life.
Read about one of the ways Jesus told us we can live out our royal calling (Matthew 5:16).
How have you been revealing your royalty in Jesus? How does it affect our values and purpose when we consider who we are in Him?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more