Top Christian Music Videos
Commoner to Royalty
You are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession (v.9).
The New York Times estimated that 3 billion people watched Prince William, heir to the throne of England, marry Kate Middleton. If true, nearly one out of every two people on the planet tuned in to watch the welldressed duo tie the royal knot. While the actual number of viewers was probably much less, still the London wedding was watched by millions across the globe.
Why all the hype? I suspect it was partly due to the fact that Kate was a commoner—as William’s mother Diana was. She wasn’t of royal descent. As William’s chosen bride, Kate the commoner became Katherine, the Duchess of Cambridge—and one day she is destined to be the wife of the King of England. Her life will never be the same. She now lives an extraordinary life of honor, privilege, and influence.
For those of us who know Jesus as Savior and King, Kate’s story bears a striking similarity to our story. We too were commoners chosen by God to become royalty. To a group of early Christians, the apostle Peter wrote, “You are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people” (1 Peter 1:9).
Peter’s royal pronouncement is not limited to first-century Christians. It applies to believers of all ages. And becoming children of the King comes with tremendous privilege and purpose.
Each day we have the honor of representing King Jesus by working for the goodness of His kingdom. Peter went on to note, as a result of becoming royalty, we can show others the goodness of God, for He called us “out of the darkness into His wonderful light” (1 Peter 1:9).
The more we former “commoners” grasp our royalty and go to work for God’s kingdom, the more we will be transformed and overflow with meaning and life.
Read about one of the ways Jesus told us we can live out our royal calling (Matthew 5:16).
How have you been revealing your royalty in Jesus? How does it affect our values and purpose when we consider who we are in Him?
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more
- Needs Met - What hungers do you think God most wants to satisfy in your life?...read more