Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
2 Corinthians 12:1
My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness (v.9).
After 20 years in youth ministry, my husband has
weathered his fair share of injuries on the job.
Most recently, he was involved in a competitive
outdoor game when he twisted his foot. Playing through
the pain, he conceded to his injury only after winning
the contest. He limped to a nearby place to sit down and
carefully remove his sock, only to see his ankle quickly
swelling past the size of an orange. A trip to the hospital
revealed it wasn’t broken, but he soon realized it would
take time before his foot could bear weight once again.
Pain often serves as a reminder of our limitations. To
those of us who pride ourselves on our independence
and feel most comfortable being in control, we don’t
relish the pain when it reminds us we’re vulnerable.
Instead of admitting our need, we “play through the
pain,” if not to convince ourselves then to assure others
that we can handle whatever comes our way. No one
likes to feel weak.
The whole crux of the gospel, however, rests on
our desperate need and the insufficiency of our own
resources. Pride keeps us from admitting our needs, much
less our failures. But until we’re willing to deal with those
things, we cut ourselves off from the fullness of the power
of Christ in our lives.
Strength for the believer looks far different than
what the world professes. “[Jesus] gave up His divine
privileges . . . and was born as a human being” (Philippians 2:7) in the greatest
show of power the heavens have ever witnessed (2 Corinthians 13:4). We gain
strength when we see difficulties—and our weaknesses—as a means for His
power to be at work in us (12:9-10).
It’s the difference between limping and running (Isaiah 40:29).
Read Isaiah 35:1 to
discover why we can
experience joy even as
we see and acknowledge
our own inadequacies.
How does the world’s
definition of strength
differ from the one found
in the Word of God? In
what areas of life have
you been limping on an
old wound rather than
admitting your weakness
and hurt to the Lord?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more