The Kingdom We Long ForWhat makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?
Top Music Videos
We once lived across the road from Aman
Nature Park, which was wonderful—except
for the raccoons. Oh sure, they’re fascinating
creatures. But the masklike band of black across their eyes
should have alerted us to one vital detail: Raccoons are
felons in fur. And the scene of the crime was our yard.
When we suspected raccoons of being responsible for
the “disappearance” of two of our cats, not to mention
the complete trashing of our shed, we got our neighbor
to trap them in a cage. He took them to a golf course at
a nearby university where he did landscaping work. He
then set them free in the woods next to the course.
One day he heard the groundskeeper complain about
having to trap so many raccoons. “What do you do with
them?” my neighbor asked. “I take them to Aman Park
and turn them loose,” the groundskeeper replied.
That ironic pest problem reminds me of our sin
problem. We struggle to be good, but we sense that
something is amiss. We seemingly “get rid of” a sin,
only to have it return with a vengeance. It’s like a neverending
game of Whac-a-Mole.
The apostle Paul called us to be different from those
who “live for lustful pleasure and eagerly practice every
kind of impurity” (Ephesians 4:19). But how do we do
that? Self-effort is doomed to fail. “Let the Spirit renew
your thoughts and attitudes,” he wrote. “Put on your new
nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy” (vv.23-24).
We can’t trap our sin in a cage and then set it free. “Those who belong to
Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to His
cross and crucified them there” (Galatians 5:24). The cross of Christ is the only
genuine source of sin management.
What additional advice about dealing with sin do you find in Colossians 3:1?
How have you been striving to defeat your old habits in your own strength? What will happen if you nail them to the cross?
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more